• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Power Supply is Awesome(550watt)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

well imo I love this thing, modular, was $80 for 550watts, 20amps on each 12v line. Looks great too. How come this thing doesn't get any praise around here? Instead people just want to pay $100-150 for the same deal?

WhatTheSchmidt said:
How come this thing doesn't get any praise around here?
That is because it exhibits very poor voltage regulation, unacceptable low frequency ripple and is worth about twice what is actually is. costs twice than what it is actually worth (lol!). All hallmarks of Topower built units.

Instead people just want to pay $100-150 for the same deal?
Why should they when a Zeus ST56ZF or a Corsair HX520 can be had for the same price?

Last edited:
hmm I see, well since I won't be using much power on the 12v lines anyway I'm not one bit worried...How practically is being at full load on the 12v lines? Wouldn't you need to power like 2 processors and the most power hungry ATI gfx card?

dangit I got coaxed in via newegg reviews and mushkin having awesome memory

I think this PSU might have been the cause of some random reboots(when playing flash games and when running 3dmark) and the black screening during the flash games? The game would freeze up then the screen went black for 3 sec then all back to normal.

Anyone know if that's the cause then? If so I'm gonna sell/return this PSU and get a different one.

WhatTheSchmidt said:
dangit I got coaxed in via newegg reviews and mushkin having awesome memory
I think this PSU might have been the cause of some random reboots(when playing flash games and when running 3dmark) and the black screening during the flash games? The game would freeze up then the screen went black for 3 sec then all back to normal.

Anyone know if that's the cause then? If so I'm gonna sell/return this PSU and get a different one.

Schmidt,

You're not alone. It's the same thing many others wondered last year about the Corsair power supplies when they first came out. "Just because they have great memory, does that mean their power supplies will be any good?"

As time went on and the experts did their tests and reported back and found out that Seasonic makes the Corsairs, the facts came out they they are great power suplies and very affordable. The reviews of the Mushkin were not so favorable.

Can't beat this:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373100

Check this site for good reviews:

http://jonnyguru.com/reviews.php

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=31

Last edited:
Mushkin figured if Topower was good enough for OCZ, Topower was good enough for them too. Never mind OCZ was in the process of dropping Topower for having too high a return rate in the meantime ;)

That said, the XP units are halfway decent. They're the closest things at Mushkin to an old Powerstream, and about the best Topower built units out there (that's not saying much). Problem is, the HP stuff isn't Topower's finest. Topower is infamous for old unreliable designs, and the HP-550 is a shining example of that.

thanks Rolling, now I just need an answer to this:

?

then I will go ahead with a different PSU most likely that corsair 520watt because it's black and modular and looks like it fits my needs perfectly.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Mushkin figured if Topower was good enough for OCZ, Topower was good enough for them too. Never mind OCZ was in the process of dropping Topower for having too high a return rate in the meantime ;)

That said, the XP units are halfway decent. They're the closest things at Mushkin to an old Powerstream, and about the best Topower built units out there (that's not saying much). Problem is, the HP stuff isn't Topower's finest. Topower is infamous for old unreliable designs, and the HP-550 is a shining example of that.

Would help if your posted your equipment. New build? Upgraded? Overclocked? Previous power supply worked? Hard to blame it strictly on the power supply.

I'm guessing you meant to quote me?

it's a new build and it's in sig...hard drives 74 gig raptor and 250gig WD are from old rig.

If I were to run 3dmark a few times(I know 05 caused a reboot when I ran it for the first time) it would probably happen.

WhatTheSchmidt said:
I'm guessing you meant to quote me?

it's a new build and it's in sig...hard drives 74 gig raptor and 250gig WD are from old rig.

If I were to run 3dmark a few times(I know 05 caused a reboot when I ran it for the first time) it would probably happen.

Yep, my bad. We still have a partial moon showing tonight and I thought I heard a wolf howling over the Saskatoon plains ...... :)

hmm well just look at the numers... 2 12v rails rated at 20a a piece.... thats 480w.... leaving just 70w for the rest of the rails... right

IMO its not worth skimping out on a psu as it is the base for making EVERYTHING work in a computer. having crappy power will lead to crappy ocs as well as crappy stability.

and lol Mushkin for psu... thats funny! didnt even kno they made psus. Shoulda gone with some better brand name.... Seasonic being one of em.

mushkin is a great brand name but their PSU's are very misleading...sigh

also your calculation is wrong because it has rail fusion and max combined is like 34A i think...can't rem don't feel like looking

anyway is what I described happening because of this power supply?!

When comparing the cold load to the same hot load, we see that there's as much as a .06V drop during test two and .07 during test three. The performance score just dropped to 6.

Just when you thought it could get worse... the crossload tests cometh! With a 3A load on the 3.3V rail and a 4A load on the 5V rail and 14A on each 12V rail (all within specification) the 12V dropped to 11.24V! It took taking the 3.3V up to 5A and the 5V up to 8A to get the 12V rail back up to 11.40V.

This power supply has a pair of +12V rails, each set to do 20A. The combined 12V capability is 336W, or 28A.

Well it happened again, tried running 3dmark05 just now and it rebooted the computer.

Is this the power supply? When I played flash games and the game would freeze up for 3 sec then the screen would go black for 3 sec, is this the power supply!?!?!

The truth is that we can't know for sure. It sounds likely that it is the PSU, but it also could be a dying video card, or simply overheating.

WhatTheSchmidt said:
it has rail fusion and max combined is like 34A i think...can't rem don't feel like looking

Rail fusion actually means it's a single 12v unit. Topower wants you to think there's some kind of special rail combining circuit in there, when really all it does is monitor current draw and turn an LED on at a certain level. Often, it doesn't even work.

Back