• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Cheetahs! SUPER TREASURE TROVE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazaro

So I went to pick up there second CRT monitor and noticed 2 boxes that said Fantom Drives on them, they have 80mm fan in the back which I needed so I took em. I pop it up and there's 4 HDD's inside each one. :drool:

I'm not expecting much since it's old, but am pretty excited that they have 20mm fans! :santa:

However the Brand says Seagate Cheetah, I know Seagate's good and cheetah sounds promising as for high RPM, but I'm not expecting what I find...

http://www.nextag.com/st336704lw/search-html
http://www.fantomdrives.com/specs/extscsispecs2001.php4
DSCF0300Custom.jpg

I got 8 of these babies, in some case with 20mm fan intakes for each one, they are all hooked up and have some weird input/output on the backs and was wondering:

1) How much are these worth?
2) How to connect it? (Or what to connect it)
3) Explain what uses 68 pin high density

Pics coming soon after I'm done snapping them.

Last edited:
I tried the first one! half the 20mm fans aren't spinning, one is spinning at like 20 rpm, but the PSU still turns on! lights come one and I can feel the top drive spinning!

I swear computers are so durable, these have been left outside under a dead tree for over a year! Trying the other one now.

Hazaro said:
I tried the first one! half the 20mm fans aren't spinning, one is spinning at like 20 rpm, but the PSU still turns on! lights come one and I can feel the top drive spinning!

I swear computers are so durable, these have been left outside under a dead tree for over a year! Trying the other one now.
What a find!!

So these are really good? I've never seen the connection before and it threw me off that these might be from 2001 or something. The other one powers up and top drive is spinning, all the 2cm fans on that one work along with the back 80mm fan.

Also on the back there are 2 connectors and a power in and power out. On the cases are the numbers 1,2,3,4 and 5,6,7,8 on the other one. The first case also has a 0 on it. You think you could run these connected on a RAID 0?

Pics coming very soon. In 1280x1024

Last edited:

Attachments

• DSCF0304 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF0304 (Custom).JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCF0277 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF0277 (Custom).JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
I looked at the series and the seconds case has some XL's, but I'm not sure if all of them in the case are.

36LP: http://www.nextag.com/st336704lw/search-html
36XL: http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=st336705lw&x=0&y=0

With its "XL" designation, the Cheetah 36XL is more of a "half-generation" update. The 36LP, after all, already delivered a Seagate low-profile 36 gig 10k unit. So what does the 4.5th generation 36XL offer? Improved areal densities and a resulting platter count decrease, of course. The 36XL requires just 4 platters do deliver its 36 gigs of capacity. Buffer size, at 4 megs, remains unchanged. Spindle speed, of course, is 10k.

*Price value of parts anyone?*

Last edited:
Wow! Now thats a really good find.. I'm down the south where its nothing but country and all the time I see computers cases left near someones trashcan.. so tempted to go and pick it up see what it is and what works

they are SCSI drives, like Clockwork_Apple said before. the numbers are selectors for the sequence or somthing. SCSI (pronouced like "skuzzy") is an old server drive interface. IDE was the desktop equveltent. Only SCSI is still very much in use today, and it is very fast (slightly faster than SATAII i believe). Standard drives are 10k or 15k rpm. It uses a ribbon cable like IDE and is a bit strange to set up. I have very little experiance myself with SCSI, but check out wikipedia for more info.

You can get a PCI SCSI controller to run these if you want.

Ultra3 SCSI or Ultra-160, 160 MB/s (1,280 or 1.28 Gb/s (Almost SATA) is what I have. It's still fast, and no drive can keep up with that right? [The Ultra-640 translates into 5.120Gb/s as per SATAII's 3.0Gb/s BTW]

Regardless I have no need to purchase a SCSI card, or use these drives, and am looking for a value based on something. I'm looking online and I see these drives going for ~$150 on average. Expensive knowing that you need a card to run them all, although I guess it beats ATA Raptors.

I'm going to go back and see if there's anything else lying around there, mainly a random SCSI card I hope.

Last edited:
What kind of magical computer fairyland were you in when you found these? I've got to check this place out for myself...

Religious leader's house. Suggested resale price?
Also I found Pentium 2 with a SCSI card, but I have no SCSI cable. I don't think I want to test it though.

Great find man. Why do i never find stuff like this. I only get p2 with 500mb hd's :D

10K SCSI drives used to be almost always faster than ATA drives. Usually this was because of the quality of the controller card and the higher sustained transfer speeds possible. Of course, drives like the Perpendicular Seagate drives and Raptors come pretty close so the differences really show up only when you're dealing with applications where seek time and high bandwidth in raid applications are important. My old old Mac's 10K drive had a 4.7ms seek time.

Also SCSI isn't specifically a server specification. In fact it started as a standard for Small computers, hence the name Small Computer System Interface. It and IDE came out in the same year, though SCSI was based off of the earlier SASI interface. The reason IDE became more popular was because of the lower cost to implement it. Firewire and a few other interconnects form the primary uses of SCSI technology today.

Hazaro said:
Religious leader's house. Suggested resale price?
Also I found Pentium 2 with a SCSI card, but I have no SCSI cable. I don't think I want to test it though.

Well you better take them back, and let the church sell them on ebay:)

:eek: i was happy that i found a 2.8GHz celeron e-machine. but dang, that is a really nice find! hopefully they all work. you won't be disappointed if you use them or sell them :)

Back