• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant change CPU Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

I go to change the voltage to my cpu when im OCing set it in the bios but it diesnt actually change???WFT...can someone help...rig in sig. Could it be anything to do with me only having plugged a 4pin power into the 8pin power thing on my mobo....i dont have an 8pin power thing for my PSU...wierd.HELP

i looked in the BIOS and then checked it with speedfan1.40 and Ai Booster 2.03.04

well programs can miss-read voltage (i think cpu-z and speedfan report my voltage incorrectly). When you're overclocking and upping the voltage in bios, does your computer become unstable at low OC's?

do you own a DMM? if so I'd check your voltage with that.

i can get it to 3.9 from 3.4 on stock voltage so it doesnt become unstable under small OCs no. DMM?? whats that? You'd think the BOIS would report it right. Iv got the latest version. I can change the voltage to the RAM... well i think i did anyway.lol

lol ya the motherboard will report what you set it at but you can get voltage droop that the motherboard won't report, but some programs can see. For some reason some programs just don't seem to be able to read things correctly.
DMM is Digital Multi-Meter... it's used to check voltages and resistances and amps manually on the board it's self... i'm guessing you don't have one though.

On a side note, I don't know much about the pentium D's... I was an AMD guy for the past few years... and I have no idea what happens when you plug a 4 pin in where a 8 pin should be.

*edit (when you try to go above 3.9 does it become unstable on stock voltage or are you limited by heat? If thats the case what happens when you go to say 4 and try upping the voltage a few steps?)

ok....my dad has a multi-meter....where do i measure lol???

im pretty sur eits not whats reading the voltage but actualy changing it because when i OCed it and it got unstable i upped the voltage and it was still unstable.

Here are some screen shots after i set the voltage to 1.300 in the BIOS.
volt1.jpg

volt2.jpg

volt3.jpg

volt4.jpg

It is exactly the same as what it is at stock!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

Edit:no idea why the pics came out so large.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but you can check voltage at a resistor right below and to the right of the ADP3181 IC chip. If you look at the lower right corner of that chip (it's near the LGA socket) there should be 3 yellow (could be a light brown, I'm color blind) resistors two on the right are horizontal and one is vertical... check voltage at that resistor, the vertical one.
Also what you just described kinda sounds like maybe it really isn't changing, or maybe thats where you're getting a big droop in voltage.

lol cpu-z and speedfan both report my voltage around 1.25v however I know I'm at 1.5v, there's noway my chip would run at 1.25v at 3.33ghz.

great...ill see if i can try that....does ur BIOS say the correct voltage?

yea mine does... I'm kinda stumped why it wouldn't change when you change it in bios. I've never used that ai program so it's possible that it's reading correctly and it really isn't changing when you set it... you can manualy change voltage by adding a 10k POT to that resister I told you to check and adjust voltage using the POT... but that requires soldering, doubt you wanna go that route.

I dont want to mess up my board the day after i get it lol. I tried setting it to 1.35v and the readings go up to 1.28. at least its gone up something lol....is this at all normal or acceptable? Iv got a reasonably solid power supply so i doubt it could be that.

You can get it to show 1.28 in your programs? thats up from what 1.23? Or are you using the DMM to check the voltage? Whats your stock voltage in bios?

I think i can change it but i just get a big drop from what i set it at in the BIOS to what i actually get.

have you disabled C1E,EIST,TM1,TM2? When those kick on they will lower your voltage... make sure they're off in bios. Also your board may just have a larger voltage "droop" than most.. all intel chipsets have some droop... nothing wrong with it.

quick edit* you may just have a .07v droop in your board... so think about whatever you set in bios.. subtract .07v and that may be your actual voltage.

Last edited:
ok...just out of interest what are acceptable temps for load on my CPU? This is not for a 24/7 OC..just a benchmark one the back to stock.

I don't think this was said, but don't start probing with your DMM unless you know FOR SURE where to measure.

i havnt and dont really intent to cos i only just baught this board and i like it lol

Back