• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stripping a dell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo

Registered
I haven't had a dell computer in about 8 years. When I had one way back when, you basically couldn't upgrade anything and it was pretty hard to take anything out of the case as all of the parts were "dell specific"

so, is it still like that? If I get a barebone's dell computer, can I put it in my own personal case like a CM stacker? Can I upgrade it easily with parts (memory, vid card) from newegg?

Expect it to come with generic components unless you go high end. In theory, you should be able to upgrade components.

If they still use Foxconn motherboards, it's a good bet that they are proprietary screw hole locations. As in not ATX mount hole locations.
I could be wrong but I had this problem with a dell that my friend wanted moved to a new case, what a pain in the keester.
Also the power supply was made for dell, again proprietary screw hole locations.

You can build a new RIG for cheap with the price drops on cpu's and the low DDR2 prices.

Do you have a preferance to brand? AMD? Intel?

Do you plan on overclocking this system?

A little more info would help.

IIRC the new Dell's use BTX, not ATX. Imagine the mirror image of an ATX mobo... yeah, it's not gonna fit. At least they use standard connectors these days.

A couple of Dells I've worked on recently were PSU upgradable, which is a switch from some of their proprietary crap from days gone by, and video cards seem to be almost always upgradable within the form factor.

Everything in a dell is upgradealbe, in their desktops, not the slimlines.

PSU, memory, cpu, vid card, everything but the mobo, as stated, they have their own version of BTX.

I personally LOVE working on a Dell with the clamshell cases. So simple, all the wiring is out of the way and neat, and everything is mostly toollless.

Gongo said:
I haven't had a dell computer in about 8 years. When I had one way back when, you basically couldn't upgrade anything and it was pretty hard to take anything out of the case as all of the parts were "dell specific"

so, is it still like that? If I get a barebone's dell computer, can I put it in my own personal case like a CM stacker? Can I upgrade it easily with parts (memory, vid card) from newegg?
Memory: yes, video card, yes, but nonstandard cases? Don't count on it.

Note, everyone in the black-box business does this. :cool:

well i just saw some deals on some dell computers... like 400 for an x2 4000 1gb... and my desktop right now is 3 years old running a 64 3500+ and my mobo just crapped out on me. I'm no longer into the hardcore gaming anymore so I was just looking at some options. It seems like unless the mobo is standard it's not worth it.

Back