• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this a hard drive problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

well I've got 2 seagate perps, they are not in RAID. One is storage, and one is OS/games. Lately I've been having some weird problems. First off, quicktime would freeze firefox up when I tried to play something. A reinstall of quicktime fixed the problem. Now it's back to it's old ways. Counterstrike source files would become randomly corrupt. Call of Juarez demo would not install. Ran the HD error test and didnt' get to see results b/c I let it run while I go. Came home and Call of Juarez demo installed. Now today I'm trying to install Rainbow Six: Vegas and it won't let me install b/c it tells me something is wrong. Now this all seems like a hard drive problem, but also videos I take with FRAPS will have artifacts but not the actual game. Streaming divx videos will have artifacts. One day all animated gifs online were screwed up and artifacted....I'm not sure what to think.

Last edited:
This sounds like a memory problem, see if you can run MemTest overnight.

lol i ran memtest at stock settings and right when the test started i got errors. I sat there watching the amt of errors climb to 5000+. thanks all

Herr Rogers said:
lol i ran memtest at stock settings and right when the test started i got errors. I sat there watching the amt of errors climb to 5000+. thanks all
Not a problem.

Back