• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from AMD x2 3800+ to E4300 a good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samduhman

Hi,

I'm trying to save a few dollars for my up coming complete system upgrade. If I've read correctly the E4300 at default is slightly faster than a 3800+ and has a good percentage of overclocking? So my intentions are to migrate to Intel with the chance of over clocking the E4300 instead of buying the E6600 like I originally planned. Im also looking at going micro atx with the new Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R. Not sure how this will affect over clocking of the E4300 but if you think it'll be an issue I'll stick to a normal atx mb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128053

So what do you think?

I think the 4300 is a very good idea as a budget machine as long as you overclock it. Then later on you can move up to a Quad if you need more power with the same mobo. However if you are going to overclock I would go with a regular atx and not a micro atx because you usually want more room to add larger aftermarket cooling solutions. In addition a smaller crammed case will further increase heat and reduce air flow.

I agree with GTengineer, you'll want a full ATX motherboard for better cooling which equals better overclocking. And make sure you get a motherboard that supports 1066 FSB for your future cpu upgrade. The 4300 is an 800 FSB where as the 6600 is 1066.

Nasgul said:
Not worth it IMO.

Save your money.

Can you give a bit more detail? Do you mean its not worth upgrading or not worth buying the E4300 and over clocking.

No, Im not planning on over clocking my 3800+. I'm giving that system to my son to replace his old clunker of a pc.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forums, Samduhman :welcome:

The answer depends on what you want to do, now and in the future.

The 3800+ is a modern, and quite capable CPU. Your son will be able to do a lot with that CPU.

With the July 22nd Intel price cuts around the corner, I'd hold off completely. You'll be able to get better than an E4300 for the same money. The motherboard choice and form factor aside, I'd say wait until late July or August to see what's on the market. This is assuming if you son can hold out with his old clunker :-D.

HTH

At stock speeds (both cpus), I don't think it's worth upgrading. However since you're giving it to your son, the e4300 would be a good replacement. I'd go with an ATX mobo if you could. For the price of that gigabyte you could get a solid overclocker with the ability to upgrade later (quad). Did you have any other system in mind as a replacement?

The E4300 will be faster even at stock speeds than a X2 3800. The E4300 is more in line with a X2 4400 (within only a few % of each other). Of course when you add overclocking into the question it is not even a contest.

average.png

Well it's going to win in synthetic benches but I don't think real world performance warrants a complete upgrade from the 3800+ X2 to the E4300 (clock for clock). I think it's a good replacement but not a good upgrade, especially if you are trying to save $.

It seems to me like it woudl be a bit of an upgrade but most importantly since your son needs a new computer then you both will get something out of it.

GTengineer said:
The E4300 will be faster even at stock speeds than a X2 3800. The E4300 is more in line with a X2 4400 (within only a few % of each other). Of course when you add overclocking into the question it is not even a contest.
i dont think he has a am2 setup
but i would go atleast e6320 or wait for july and a quad will be $233 or close to that

you guys make me feel outdated... I just upgraded TO a 3800+... If only I had the money...

AMDs price cuts mean that you can get out of the box performance from an AMD system than an Intel system, price for price, however, the Intel system will beat the nuts off it when overclocked.
Clock for clock Intel beats AMD, and think about the beautiful quads,man!
Future proof FTW!!!

Back