• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K + E2160 How much farther can I push?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

straywolf

Registered
Hi guys,

All my parts came in (except the two SATA HDs), so I put everything together and started to OC. Since this is my first time overclocking a system, I don't have a good feel of where I should stop. My setup is:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
MB: P5K (vanilla)
CPU: E2160 Duo Core (currently OC'd to 9x345=3105Hz)
Cooling: Scythe Ninja
RAM: 2Gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400 (DM9GMH) (4-4-4-12)

I'm using 1.35V vcore right now and temperatures are about 20C-idle and 53C -load. I did the vdroop pencil mod and it was a big boost (1.312V-idle/1.256V-load before the mod. After mod was 1.328-idle/1.336-load)

Temps were hitting 56-57C earlier, but I think I bumped the Scythe around too many times installing it the first time. So i took it off and reseated it. I noticed the CPU left dent marks at the 4 corners of the heat sink, so I probably should lap it to get better contact. Ordered a kit from EasyPCKits so going to wait to do that.

But in the mean time, how far should I push my temperatures? Do you think I would be able to push 3.2+ Ghz safely? What else can I do to improve this OC? First time OC'ing so I appreciate any help! :)

OC01.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm.. not sure if my SuperPI is anything impressive since these CPUs only have 1Mb cache, but here you go :)

OC02-1.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad for a budget chip man .

Try more volts , from my exp the volts dont really change my temps much, but do help my clocks . But that could be the water . Go up slow dont go above 1.55v but up to 1.55 is noraml the high side of safe for air cooling I bet there is more in your chip , and the board will do that as well as your ram .

Have you changed ne of the volts for north and sotuh bridge yet ?

Hm, I think I set northbridge to 1.55V but haven't touched southbridge. I'll bump the vcore a little more and see. I'm guessing I don't want to go over 60C core temps?

OC03.jpg

Seems stable at 1.4Vcore, 3.2Ghz. Gonna leave it overnight on Orthos. Man, OC'ing is like crack... I really want to see what this thing can do after lapping or on water!:D

BTW, does it matter if I run it at 8x400=3.2Ghz or 9x356=3.2Ghz?

Last edited:
try this as well just did it on mine
4-4-3-6 timmings instead of 4-4-4-12 it will work =) i like 8x400 better

these chips look very nice for a budget chip...im thinking of investing

Fire and matches?? Nah, the fact it hit those speeds shows it doesn't need it but in future get SiSoft Sandra and run the burn-in computer option under the tools tab. It basically breaks in hardware and loosens it up slightly.

Ah I see. I searched around the forums about "burn in" and opinions seem to vary. I can see the reasoning though. However I just OC'd this right out of the box.

BTW thanks Console, those timings do work! :)

I'd remove a bit of the pencil lead on your vdroop mod. An *increase* in vcore on load isn't really the best thing for your motherboard, vdroop is actually part of Intel's specs as well it's just that some boards have too much of it. A minimal amount of droop is really best but you can adjust it until there is little or no droop.

Madman, when you say increase, you mean it going from 1.328-idle ==>> 1.336-load (with 1.35V set in bios)? So it is recommended that the idle voltage should be higher than the load voltage?

Yay! 10hrs Orthos stable so far at 9x356=3.2Ghz :)

I'll play around with it some more to see if it will post at higher speeds, but I'm thinking best to have it at 3.0Ghz for 24/7 use.

And I did as you suggested Madman, took some 100% isopropyl alcohol and kimwipes on a toothpick and removed some of the lead. Vcore in bios is 1.4V, on idle is 1.376V, load is 1.376V. :)

Last edited:
ur signature and picture conflict on the multiplier ur running. just to let u know the higher fsb will result in faster cpu performance.

I was only able to keep 8x400FSB stable for a few hours, so I tried same settings, but switching to higher mult and lower FSB which was orthos stable 10hrs (I'll fix sig). But yea, I definitely need more tweaking to get this thing finely tuned. I probably need to bump the voltage up one to get better 8x400 stability.

Question.. in the Antec Nine hundred case, where should I mount the Scythe Ninja fan for best airflow? Should I mount it vertically so it draws air from the backside of the graphics card and pushes air toward to top exhaust fan? Or mount it horizontally so it sits above the RAM slots and draws air from the front and pushes to the back exhaust fan? Does it matter? :p

Last edited:
3.5Ghz!!! :eek:

This was as high as I went before chickening out :p
1.5 V-core. I'm sure this thing can hit 3.6Ghz with proper water cooling, more voltage.

I'm backing it down a bit to do more stability test, and tweak the RAM :)

Back