• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i mobo - no overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legendary

I want to do SLi sometime in the near future and heard you need an nVidia motherboard to do this (although some idiot at a local computer show was trying to convince me that an P965 chipset with integrated video does it...). Is it worth getting 680i mobo even if I'm not going to be doing any overclocking?

I just Got myself a Asus P5N32-E SLI.
I havn't put it through much yet, but so far looks rather good.

I would go with 680i or the few better 650i board if you have any plans to go SLI. The better 650i being an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (Note the Plus)

Technically that Idiot is right, though I still would go with Nvidia chipset, since there are some hacked drivers for SLI on an Intel Chipset. But yea... If you want SLI you need an Nvidia Chipset at this point.

I'm using the retail heatsink that came with my Core 2 Quad and don't think it would be enough to keep my system cool if I'm overclocking. Plus my memory is Corsair, but not quite the best model # for overclocking.

The nice thing about the Nvidia chipset is that you can run your ram at what ever speed you want, while running the FSB at a different speed.

Back