• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First O/C with E6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redham

Registered
New build with W/C

E6600
EVGA A1
OCZ PC2 8500 2 gig (another 2 not installed atm) 5.5.5.12
PNY 8800 GTS

I finally got my system stable at 3.4 ghz with the following voltage

Vcore: 1.46 (current value)
FSB Voltage: 1.5
Memory 2.1

Temps are 23 idle and at 41 with Orthos loaded.

Are these values ok?
Also, seen reveiws on the memory I own and they've been able to get timings buch better than stock. Should I just starting trial and error and lowering timings to see if it will run?

Vio1 said:
did you try less vcore ? is it stable?

looks good nonetheless. Is that max? or you pushing for more?

-----------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried going higher. My temps are very stable at 23-41 max so thats not a concern. I've read some very discouraging things about pushing the chips with voltage yet I see some people in the 1.6 area.

There was a huge voltage gap from getting 3.3 to 3.4 for some reason. I went from 1.35 to to 1.49 just to get to 3.4. Kind of makes me think if I should shave it back down to 1.35 and forget about the .1 ghz.

I say forget the .1ghz. Hardly any difference, price-electricity offsets, heat, longevity, etc.

I might be biased though, cuz my room gets HOT when I push to 1.55v. My room sucks, bad ventilation/insulation. lol

Just did a little more tweaking with the v-core and it looks like I'm stable at 1.45 at 3.4.

My memory will not go to 4-4-4-12 though. When I brought the timimgs down the comp will not start.

redham said:
Just did a little more tweaking with the v-core and it looks like I'm stable at 1.45 at 3.4.

My memory will not go to 4-4-4-12 though. When I brought the timimgs down the comp will not start.

How did you set it, in bios or nTunes? Latest mobo update?

I started changing it in nTune and my 4-4-4-12 settings became stable, and was able to reboot (I'm using a ASUS P5N32-E SLI 680i board though) with the setting, and never touched it since... dunno if you wanna give that a try =|

E6600 FPO/BATCH LG45G623

I just got my e6600 and am using an Asus P5N32-E SLI board (680i chipset). The batch code on my CPU is LG45G623.

One thing I noticed is that after about 3.4 GHz you have to kinda go crazy with the VCORE voltage in order to get results with overclocking. I'm currently at (9x393) 3.535 GHz, 1:1 RAM divider (392.8x2=785.6 MHz @ 5-5-5-18-22-2T).

Note: At 3.4 GHz I only needed 1.5250 v. in the BIOS, but for 3.5+ I need almost 1.6v. This is crazy. It's like for every 2 FSB more (18 CPU MHz) I need to bump up the VCORE like 2 notches.

The temps are getting pretty ensane thou...at 3.4 GHz I got like 48-52 and now I'm getting 64-65!!! I'm starting worry about my chip LOL. Should I keep going? Any horror stories out there with too much VCORE on these chips? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

VCORE - 1.5975
1.2VHT - 1.4
Northbridge - 1.45
Southbridge - 1.55
CPU VTT - 1.55
RAM - 1.925
Memory controller - AUTO
RAM Channel 1 - AUTO
RAM Channel 2 - AUTO

BUILD:
Win Vista 64-bit (thinks it's a Dell :cool: )
Logitech G15 keyboard (the LCD is really REALLY useful)
C2D E6600 FPO/BATCH LG45G623 (Rated 1.35V max)
Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i BIOS version 1103
2x "eVGA 7900 GT KO Superclocked" (SLI mode enabled)
Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU
2x "Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB" RAID 0
1x Western Digital 120 GB
1x IBM Deskstar 120 GB (a.k.a. DEATHstar - thou it has been loyal and faithful to me...for now:clap: )
Swiftech H20 220 Apex Ultra kit (Apogee GT block came with kit)
2x "Danger Den Koosah" (on each of the video cards)
2x "Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II" (northbridge and southbridge) - upgraded the fan for the one on the northbridge with a 60mm that I pulled off a Pentium 2 :bday:

Update in screenshot. (Best at 200%)

What we have here is a screenshot in the background of me running orthos on CPU stress mode, and then i switched to blend. I'm keeping my memory very loose to prevent false errors.

Attachments

• copy 9x393.jpg
    copy 9x393.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 140
Update:

I lowered the multiplier to 8x and brought up the FSB. I now do 1M Super PI in 15.194 seconds with DDR-800 5-5-5-18-22-2T at 10:9 divider (in the post above was low 17 second range). I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a little bit more out of the CPU and FSB and RAM for sure, but one thing's certain, and that is that I need better cooling for northbridge. I'm gonna see how much money I have next week and maybe I'll pick up a Koolance waterblock and some more tubing. I'm also considering these: http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...reen=PROD&Product_Code=10288&Category_Code=50. It looks like they got holes on the top so I can even add a fan.

Has anyone done any experimentation with Redline water wetter? (The thing you buy at a car parts store and add to your coolant in the car to reduce surface tension of the water in the hope of increasing the cooling performance of the liquid.) My civic absolutely loves the stuff...I wonder if my sqiftech pump is gonna like it too? :confused:

Attachments

• 8x444.jpg
    8x444.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 107
Just noticed this...look at the discrepancy between the cpu-z readout and the Orthos CPU MHz readout. Weird huh? I ran memtest 1.70 and it reported my CPU to be in the 4.2 GHz range. :p

Does the same thing for me when I drop the multi , it still ( in Memtest and Orthos ) thinks it is @ teh default multi

Back