• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowering Vcore/cooling problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mtotho

Hello, i have a q6600 running on a p5b-vm se(uatx form factor,9.6x8.4)and my processor is running hot. At first it was running @ about 50 idle, with about 10 reapplications of the artic silver 5, i got it down to 42c in the bios. In windows it read about 38 on speed fan. I have no oce'd or changed any settings. I am using an aftermarket hsf, coolermaster, that got very good reviews. Currently i am just testing this motherboard outside of a case, it is fairly cool in my room, and i even have a fan blowing on it. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep it cooler? is it possible to lower vcore and sustain stability? Also i cant even seem to change the vcore on this motherboard. Is it possibly just because its not in a case? The computer im on has an intel c2d e6600 running at 27 celcius on stock hsf. Is it possible that the motherboard with the q6600 is giving me false readingS? thanks.

I was able to OC my 6600 to 3060mhz, 340mhz bus speed and 1360 rated bus speed with only 1.208 on the vcore.. Currently, my case is a piece of crap and waiting to decide which case to get to cool my CPU down enough to OC it to something like 3.4 ghz and leave it alone.

Yes you can try lowering the Vcore down to at least 1.200 try that you can also try going lower if you do not plan on overclocking just test it by going lower on the volts it won't hurt anything unless you go higher like 1.4 (lol)

Make sure you use common sense, which means put it at level you know or think that is stable

And it does lower temps, try spending $45 on a aftermarket heatsink and always apply that AS5 correctly. The instructions are on the AS5 website. Apply a straight line in the middle of the chip where the cores are at.. make sure not to over do it make it like a "rat" dropping thick then twist the heatsink on a little bit when putting on. And those stock heatsinks are a b*tch to install so make sure all 4 pins are snapped into place on the back of the motherboard..

Good luck

Last edited:
Put a single half grain of rice drop of AS5 in the middle and make sure the stock HS is on and has clicked.

Have you tried getting any load temps?

If you are willing to lapping the IHS and stock HS with a $20 kit should drop your temps a lot.

*http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5103207

I knew they ran hot, but this hot?

Last edited:
Back