• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Windows Vista (Dual Boot)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jheshka

Registered
Basically, I install Windows Vista on a separate disk partition. And, I formatted the partition and allocated all the space back to the C:

But the boot manager remains.
If anyone can tell me how I can get rid of the Boot manager, or just make it so it boots to XP, it'd be greatly appreciated. :D

Last edited:
Mathersalan said:
I believe you can take care of that in the boot.ini tab on msconfig
Unless it is using the Vista bootloader, which is different than the XP one.

You need to restore XP's own partition boot record. Can be done from recovery console with fixboot

Code:
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.EXE to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

What do I do? :D

Last edited:
Do not mess with the boot.ini well you can but it shouldn't do a thing since it has a totally seperate boot loader as mentioned. Easiest way would of been fixing it in vista, you can manually do it in the bios but its easier to use programs to do it.

ahhhh this is quite easy to do actually.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Just insert the Vista install CD in either windows vista or XP

Removing Windows Vista from a dual-boot configuration

If you want to remove Windows Vista from a dual-boot environment that includes an earlier version of Windows, follow these steps.

Note You can follow these steps in the earlier version of Windows or in Windows Vista. If you follow these steps in Windows Vista, run the commands from a command-prompt that has elevated user rights. To do this, click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator. 1.Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Ntldr program. To do this, type the following command: Drive:\Boot\ Bootsect.exe –NT52 All

Note In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista media is located.

After the computer restarts, it does not load the Windows Boot Manager program. Instead, Netldr.exe loads and Boot.ini loads. 2.Delete or remove the partition where Windows Vista is installed.

Important You can only delete the partition where Windows Vista is installed if that partition is the non-active partition on the system. For example, consider the following scenario: •Windows Vista is installed on drive C. Drive C is partition 1 and is the active partition. •Windows XP is installed on the drive D. Drive D is partition 2 and is the non-active partition. In this scenario, you can run the bootsect command, but you cannot delete the partition where Windows Vista is installed. If you delete this partition, the computer is put into a non-bootable state because Windows XP boot files are deleted.

Thank you all very much for the help.

Although, due to unforeseen problems... My hard-drive got... Really messed.
I spent about 4 hours trying to install XP. (It saying I don't have permission to format in a DOS prompt before XP even starts is very weird. Not to mention it saying it can't write, because the Hard-disk is not recognized. :D)

God, I love computers...

Back