• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insight From A Fry's Salesman

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

I don't know if that many peopel on here have gotten to experience the in store Fry's sales staff. I have never had a question answered there that I thought seemed like the guy was 100% sure. Here are a few geat moments from my trip to pick up a PSU.

An older gentleman is getting assistance picking out parts to build a computer. First thing they look at are the cases. The salesman points out a few to him and he decides that the Antec w/400 watt PSU for $129 is popular. The man points out that there is also a generic case w/ generic 400 watt PSU for $109 and that he could save $20. The salesman tells him that the Antec is just the name brand case and that the PSU's are exactly the same and 99% of the time made by the same manufacuter and just rebadged.

So this caught my attention and I just had to hear what the salesman had in line for the guy because motherboards and CPU's are the next aisle over.

The guy tells him that he is going to be running CAD mostly and that he thinks he needs something pretty powerful. The salesman tells him that he can go with AMD or Intel. He asks what the diff is and the salesman says there is no diff that they run at the same speeds but AMD is cheaper because they produce value chips and sell in mass quantities to get the prices down. He decides to go with Intel because his friend says he thinks Intels are "more powerful for business and less for gaming".

Motherboard time! So the guy says he needs a pretty good board because he doesn't ever want it to crash. The salesman immediately walks over to the most expensive board on the wall for $250. I'm not sure what it was but it is the Asus with the heatpipes all over. The salesman said that it was the best board they had but it wasn't what he wanted because it didn't have onboard video. Then they had some discussion about whether CAD needed a good video card and the salesman thought that any onboard video would be more than sufficient because some of them have "dual monitor outputs".

The salesman tells him that they have a few brands of boards. Asus, Abit, Intel, and "everything else". So he asks what the diffs are and the salesman says that Asus and Abit are made for gaming, Intel is for business, and everything else is for people don't understand the difference and don't want to pay for "quality".

Next they head over to the memory and the salesman pulls out his sheet and finds the fastest memory at the best price. He immediately says that 1gb is plenty and they have a great deal on it. He tells him that the twinx or something is the best memory out and that is what he should go with because it is good and it has a mail in rebate. The guy decides that the salesman can't be wrong because he has given such good advice so far.

So to wrap it up the guy tells him that he needs and HD and the salesman points out that since this will be a CAD computer he needs dual SATA so he can run RAID. This poor guy has no idea what any of these pieces are but he just agrees and grabs 2.

So the guy tells him that it is all done and that he should run Vista because it is so much better and faster than XP and all he needs to do is pick out a DVD burner.

Poor guy....

Last time I was there I was asking what cores the AMD chips had and the guy said that they were all dual cores and that's it. I asked what the names were and he said "dual core". I threw out a few examples and he said that AMD didn't do core names that only Intel used to do that a long time ago with the P4 line.

Just wondering, but did you at any point in time think of possibly helping that customer so he was not screwed?

Anyway, this is how most chains are run. They simply cannot survey all their employees well enough to tell if they are knowledgeable in an area or not. So usually they just higher anyone.

tenchi86 said:
Just wondering, but did you at any point in time think of possibly helping that customer so he was not screwed?

Anyway, this is how most chains are run. They simply cannot survey all their employees well enough to tell if they are knowledgeable in an area or not. So usually they just higher anyone.

I didn't want to say anything because the salesman was always right there and I didn't want to look like I was showing the salesman up. Luckily the guy didn't buy anything while I was there, he may have gone back and grabbed it all though.

See it's ppl like that dumbass saleman who I just like to take outside and beat him senseless over the head with one of those generic psu's until he's in a coma :rolleyes:

I feel for the poor old guy tho. I mean he goes in in hopes that the salesperson will do him right. Instead he gets shafted in so many ways it's terrible. I hate when ppl like this gets taken advantage of :mad:

I like to go to BB, CC or best of all compusa and ask questions just to see how "knowledgeable" these sales people really are. 9 out of 10 don't know squat only what they see on the shelves and the 10th person makes an effort, but you can tell he got it from a flyer, lol.

I love to blow their minds when i start spewing my info, hee hee.

did you check the prices of all the stuff he wanted him to buy and then see how much the total would have come to?

i love the fry's store that is near here and before i knew about this site and the overclocking world they helped me upgrade from an athalon xp 1100 (barton) 1.1ghz

to a prescott 511 (2.8 ghz stock now at 3.121 ghz :p)

please say you stepped in...

your just as bad as the salesman screwing the man out of his money if you knowingly let it happen .. Who cares if you one upped the salesman, you probably would save a man who is trusting the guy for guidance to perform his profession getting screwed out of money which could maybe feed his kids, pay rent, etc.. ? I just do not know what to say... I would think a member of these forums, one specializing in computer knowledge would help a man seeking information on a computer and not letting him get screwed. Did you atleast warn him when he didnt buy anything ?

the salesguy was doing exactly what he was supposed to do - moving the parts his manager told him to sell.

as for what cores amd's have - i don't remember the names of all of them off the bat either; not that i am that huge of an expert and i probably should, reading so much about them :p but there you go.

that said, i know exactly how you feel. just help the customer if you can, discretely-like. not that this one deserved it - he went to drop several hundred $ without doing even a bit of a homework, from how you described it.

frys, BB, CC, ect have useless salespeople (most of the time), its mostly due to the working conditions, pay, etc. The only things i'm willing to grab from frys are the combo deals, and sales. Everything else, its newegg and ewiz :)

Frys is the worst out of all of them though.. you have a bunch of guys in suits and ties, standing around, doing nothing. Ask one of them a question, and they'll start asking each other until the question gets passed on to the only guy that knows and then its relayed back to me. and MAN, don't get me started on the car stereo department. Guys there can't even do math; they matched up an amp/speakers combo that lead to its death.

What I really want to know is whether the generic psu will catch on fire first, whether the onboard video chip will fry itself trying to run CAD software, or whether the RAID array which the customer will have no idea how to set up will fail spectacularly.

The last time I was hanging around in a CompUSA (no Fry's around here) I overheard a salesperson attempting to sell a socket 478 system at an obscene price to a guy looking for a modern family computer that he could easily upgrade. I politely waited for the CUSA employee to walk off and then let the man know that he was getting ripped-off. At least the employees at Microcenter seem to be trained a bit better - not to mention the superior pricing and product selection. I miss being in DC where I could go there when I didn't want to have to deal with newegg's shipping :(

Last edited:
grumperfish said:
What I really want to know is whether the generic psu will catch on fire first, whether the onboard video chip will fry itself trying to run CAD software, or whether the RAID array which the customer will have no idea how to set up will fail spectacularly.

The last time I was hanging around in a CompUSA (no Fry's around here) I overheard a salesperson attempting to sell a socket 478 system at an obscene price to a guy looking for a modern family computer that he could easily upgrade. I politely waited for the CUSA employee to walk off and then let the man know that he was getting ripped-off. At least the employees at Microcenter seem to be trained a bit better - not to mention the superior pricing and product selection. I miss being in DC where I could go there when I didn't want to have to deal with newegg's shipping :(
All three at once....:bday:

CC sales people aren't all worthless, I worked there when I was in college!

I just don't think it's my place to tell people anything. He was happy with what the salesman was telling him so I couldn't have told him anything else.

The prices at Fry's aren't too bad. The CPU and MB combo prices are good. I think the E6420 and ECS board is $170 and the E6420 by itself is $200.

I was shopping for some RAM and I asked the guy what mem it would take to run a E6600 at a 1:1. He told me that the PC6400 would do that exactly and he confirmed it with a coworker. I pointed out that the E6600 has a 1066 FSB and the PC6400 was only 800. He still said that it was the same. I tried to explain how 800:1066 does not equal 1:1 but he just didn't get it.

LilBuddy said:
I was shopping for some RAM and I asked the guy what mem it would take to run a E6600 at a 1:1. He told me that the PC6400 would do that exactly and he confirmed it with a coworker. I pointed out that the E6600 has a 1066 FSB and the PC6400 was only 800. He still said that it was the same. I tried to explain how 800:1066 does not equal 1:1 but he just didn't get it.
Actually, they are right...your taking the quad pumped fsb (1066) and comparing it to the rams rated mhz.

If you run at 1:1 and want to run the RAM at its rated spec, you would have to be at 400fsb (or 1600 quad pumped fsb). The RAM has a multiplyer of 2 to the non quad pumped fsb.

I was trying to figure that out on here but I couldn't get it. After the guy told me that PC6400 was right he then came back and said that the PC8500 would be closer to the 1:1 ratio. I guess he had no idea just like me.

LilBuddy said:
CC sales people aren't all worthless, I worked there when I was in college!

I just don't think it's my place to tell people anything. He was happy with what the salesman was telling him so I couldn't have told him anything else.

The prices at Fry's aren't too bad. The CPU and MB combo prices are good. I think the E6420 and ECS board is $170 and the E6420 by itself is $200.

You need RAM that runs @ 533 in order to run 1:1 assuming stock E6600. Using PC6400 (or higher) may allow you to overclock without having to use a divider :D.

LilBuddy said:
I don't know if that many peopel on here have gotten to experience the in store Fry's sales staff. I have never had a question answered there that I thought seemed like the guy was 100% sure. Here are a few geat moments from my trip to pick up a PSU.

An older gentleman is getting assistance picking out parts to build a computer. First thing they look at are the cases. The salesman points out a few to him and he decides that the Antec w/400 watt PSU for $129 is popular. The man points out that there is also a generic case w/ generic 400 watt PSU for $109 and that he could save $20. The salesman tells him that the Antec is just the name brand case and that the PSU's are exactly the same and 99% of the time made by the same manufacuter and just rebadged.

So this caught my attention and I just had to hear what the salesman had in line for the guy because motherboards and CPU's are the next aisle over.

The guy tells him that he is going to be running CAD mostly and that he thinks he needs something pretty powerful. The salesman tells him that he can go with AMD or Intel. He asks what the diff is and the salesman says there is no diff that they run at the same speeds but AMD is cheaper because they produce value chips and sell in mass quantities to get the prices down. He decides to go with Intel because his friend says he thinks Intels are "more powerful for business and less for gaming".

Motherboard time! So the guy says he needs a pretty good board because he doesn't ever want it to crash. The salesman immediately walks over to the most expensive board on the wall for $250. I'm not sure what it was but it is the Asus with the heatpipes all over. The salesman said that it was the best board they had but it wasn't what he wanted because it didn't have onboard video. Then they had some discussion about whether CAD needed a good video card and the salesman thought that any onboard video would be more than sufficient because some of them have "dual monitor outputs".

The salesman tells him that they have a few brands of boards. Asus, Abit, Intel, and "everything else". So he asks what the diffs are and the salesman says that Asus and Abit are made for gaming, Intel is for business, and everything else is for people don't understand the difference and don't want to pay for "quality".

Next they head over to the memory and the salesman pulls out his sheet and finds the fastest memory at the best price. He immediately says that 1gb is plenty and they have a great deal on it. He tells him that the twinx or something is the best memory out and that is what he should go with because it is good and it has a mail in rebate. The guy decides that the salesman can't be wrong because he has given such good advice so far.

So to wrap it up the guy tells him that he needs and HD and the salesman points out that since this will be a CAD computer he needs dual SATA so he can run RAID. This poor guy has no idea what any of these pieces are but he just agrees and grabs 2.

So the guy tells him that it is all done and that he should run Vista because it is so much better and faster than XP and all he needs to do is pick out a DVD burner.

Poor guy....

Last time I was there I was asking what cores the AMD chips had and the guy said that they were all dual cores and that's it. I asked what the names were and he said "dual core". I threw out a few examples and he said that AMD didn't do core names that only Intel used to do that a long time ago with the P4 line.

OOOO MAN on MANY ocasions i have seen this happen at the frys thats 10min away from my house (i frequent the oxnard frys quite a bit). and most of the times i just laugh, some i do actually step in and todally put the salesperson in their place, its quite funny. lol one time i asked if they had thermalRIGHT heatsinks or if they could order them... the guy was like ya we got em... takes me over to thermalTAKE heatsinks... i was like no thermalRIGHT... he was like its all the same :bang head

Nother time i went to go buy another cooler master Silent blue LED fan, which i had bought previously there, and really liked cus it was quiet and looked good in my case. Any ways they didnt have blue and it took them 30 minutes to tell me they didnt have any, then the guy walks me over to the fans and grabs an antec tri cool and again was like... all fans are the same. Right.

Oh and i too have done the core thing... i went in there and was like you guys have the new allendale versions of the E6400 and E6300 correct?... he was like... bro they all are the same (re occuring phrase in frys)

oh and as others have stated... they really do pass questions along down the whole chain of people... its redicolous.

those stores hire salesmen....not techies. easier to teach a salesman how to BS and a few tips about the hardware or how to run diagnostic software behind the counter....than to teach a techie how to run a cash register.

thats my take on it.

SteveLord said:
those stores hire salesmen....not techies. easier to teach a salesman how to BS and a few tips about the hardware or how to run diagnostic software behind the counter....than to teach a techie how to run a cash register.

thats my take on it.

:thup:
I quite agree.

Microcenter seems a lot nicer than the others from the few times I've been there.

I was picking up a 2900XT there this weekend for example, and I actually was able to have a quick convo with the salesman about the upcoming 1024MB XT(X)...he seemed to have a geniune interest in hardware for sure which is always good to see. Prior to that I picked up an X850XT from them a couple of years ago and they were also pretty enthusiastic and nice to deal with. The price on that one was also waay cheaper than any place on the net incidentally.

I guess that Fry's guy's advice isn't the greatest, but all things considering, it's not that bad...many could attest that it could get a lot worse. :p

I think my favorite part was when the salesman went off his cheat sheet to tell which memory was the best because it had the biggest MIR.

Local PC shop near me... asked them for a decent PC to hold up my system... he told me you'd need a 850W PSU I can't even remeber the maker of it... i just said okay i'll shop around and walked out ;x

Back