• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of TVtuner for PIP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Puff

I would like to watch tv on my computer while doing other things. Is there a nice internal PIP TVtuner that doesn't limit my resolution? If not, what is the highest rated TVtuner?

what exactly do you mean, standard tvs display at 640x480, but i believe a PVR-150 can capture at 720x520, or something like that.

do you want to display one channel then have another doing PIP?

if so you need two tuners for that!

Your resolution is limited to that of your source, but ofcourse, you can always display a 640x480 source at what ever resolution you want, and just enable your software to upconvert (will take some cpu power)

I just want to be using my computer (even in directx games) and have the pip on top of that. Like on a tv with pip where 2 channels are displayed, but one is the one I'm working in and the other is the tv.

um, while playing games.....i really have no clue, have not used windows in awhile. When i did, i don't think you could do this, and if you can now, it will probabbly kill your FPS.

doing it while not in a gaming environment would be as simple as using the bundled software with a tuner.

ok, to make it clear, yes, you can do PIP.....somewhat..... you can just run the PVR software in a window instead of full screen so you can still browse the net, work on any apps while also watching TV (IF you've got a high res monitor). however, first, why do you want to play game while watching TV?? :confused: you'll either got killed or you aren't watch the show at all!! plus in order to do that, you'll need to run the game also in window instead of full screen mode too which in turn will also kill your fps!!

and I know at least BeyondTV doesn't support PIP mode even if you have multiple tuners yet! but rumor is the upcoming version will support PIP! not sure about SageTV or others tho.

I know that an MSI card can do it, as well as external units. What I don't know is if there is a good card than can.

mythtv does what you want just fine in a windowed mode, and it can also put a pip inside that window, but....its linux which you might not want.

the BEST standard definition tuner that i have used is the happauge pvr-150, and anyone who owns it will agree. Excellent linux support as well as full hardware encoding.

I have the scent of a pci-e card. =) I would love the speed boost from pci.

The KWorld is out. I may want to upgrade my system later and that full-sized card would prevent the addition of another video card.

I went for the AverMedia card. It had the best ratings minus the heat problem =). I'll tell you guys how it works.

Back