• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

450gph vs. 317gph?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcX

Old Pump: Hydor Seltz L35 I
-AC Powered
-450gph
-80in Pump Head

New Pump: Swiftech MCP655
-12v DC Powered
-317gph
-120in Pump Head

Do you expect I will see a temperature difference +/-? I've got all the temperature data on the Hydor pump recorded so I'll have some results to post before Friday.

Do you think the Swiftech has more pressure with would improve the Storm's ability to cool? Ceterius Paribus.

It depends on the shape of the PQ curves and how many watts each pump dumps into the loop, but yes, the higher head pump will probably give you slightly better temps.

Attachments

• PQ Curves.jpg
    PQ Curves.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 180
But there comes a point when flow rate makes no difference.

You can have a 1000 LPH and it may not change temps at all from a 50 LPH system.

I wouldn't expect any major improvement from the 655, but it's hard to say without knowing more about the Hydor. If it has a really steep PQ curve, you might have an abysmally low flow rate with the Storm. I wouldn't bet on gains of more than one or two C, though. As long as you've got both pumps, the best way to find out is to try it. :)

Update:

There was no noticeable gain or loss with switching from Hydor L35 to a Swiftech 655. The noise levels with the 655 are inaudible compared to my Fans, cant say the same for HydorL35.

The temps all remained the same for this single block loop, regardless of Pump head or GPH.

That's not surprising. Flow rate doesn't affect either modern blocks or rads very dramatically, and a stronger pump usually means more heat in the loop. Hence, performance is about the same with a wide range of pumps.

Thanks for posting your results. :beer:

Back