• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.8 533 with burnt pins any hope?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

this is a cpu i pulled from a clients box.the hsf loosened up somehow and the hsf pulled the cpu out of the socket a little.so the pins on one side have burn marks on them(about 8 of them).the pins are perfectly straight no bends or breaks at all.it wont post in any of three mbs ive tried it in.is there any hope for this cpu or is it a lost cause?someone please tell me its not lol.im using my gfs p4 celery rig while i finish painting my case and its horribly slow :bang head if at all possible id like to swap procs.is there anyway of maybe cleaning the pins and do you think it will help?

the pins are prolly burnt for a reason lol. Cpu is prolly toast id guess.. esp if it wouldnt post in 3 motherboards.. i mean come on lol.

That thing is toast dude. However, if you the unit is still in warranty you might try to get it replaced, if you were using stock intel heatsink and fan assembly. Intel is pretty good with customer service and may agree that the heatsink and fan coming loose was a manufacture defect and send you a new proc. That is if you were using the intel stock heatsink and fan.

p3rnicious said:
That thing is toast dude. However, if you the unit is still in warranty you might try to get it replaced, if you were using stock intel heatsink and fan assembly. Intel is pretty good with customer service and may agree that the heatsink and fan coming loose was a manufacture defect and send you a new proc. That is if you were using the intel stock heatsink and fan.
Worth a shot.:beer:

unfortunately its long past its warranty period and the hsf was after market :( i was told that baking soda may clean the pins up?the proc worked long enough for me to get into the bios when i first looked at it but it stopped working right after i saved changes so im hopeful the pins are the only cooked part lol.im going to try the baking soda and see what happens.ill let you guys know if i can revive it or if its heading to the graveyard :)

maxfly said:
the proc worked long enough for me to get into the bios when i first looked at it but it stopped working right after i saved changes so im hopeful the pins are the only cooked part lol.

did you know the pins were burnt before you first tried to power it on? if so, i think its a good sign you could even hit the bios. if the cpu were actually on fire, i wouldn't think you could do that.

cleaning it up is worth a shot, i guess i would if i were in your shoes. gl.

nope didnt know what was wrong with the rig when i looked at it.initially it acted like the os was corrupt or it had a nasty virus.could hardly get the thing to respond while in windows.after pulling the side panel off tho(this was the filthiest machine ive ever seen,literally a 1/4 of dust on everything)my first guess was something was cooked lol.thats when i noticed the hsf bracket was broken.
ill give the baking soda a try tomorrow.fingers crossed lol.

well the baking soda paste did in fact clean the pins up nicely and you guys were right the cpu is a no go.soooo im going to try my hand at pulling the ihs lol.<---never tried it b4 so its not a total loss i guess :D

Back