• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of improvement from a Northwood 3.2ghz to a C2D (or Q2D)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I currently have an Asus P4C-800E & Northwood 3.2ghz chip, with 1 gig of ram.

I am using this in a CCTV / Home Automation file server. I consistantly see 80% processor usage when both programs are in use.

I do need more ram, but before I put any money into this clunker, I figured I would check to see if I would see a large performance improvement.

This is a 24/7 PC that is also a fileserver (on a small network).

I have also have a 3.2 Dual Core that is OC'ed to 4ghz with 2 gigs of ram that I could swap for this file server as well. Again, I dont know if that would bring my processor usage rate much lower. Thats more my personal PC that I almost never use (I have been much more into laptops these days), its supposed to be a gaming machine, but I have not played a game in a long time.

Any suggestions aside from to upgrade to something newer?

Thanks,
Rich

lol in a nutshell ....... A LOT ;)

I have a P4 2GHz at work and granted it is slower than yours but my laptop with a Pentium-M 1.73GHz leaves it in the dust.

I should probably mention, for stability sake, I am not likely to OC the file server (I would rather it run at stock speeds 24/7 & not risk any type of downtime).

So, its 3.2ghz Northwood with 1 gig of ram (current), or 3.2GHZ Dual Core (940 maybe?) with 2 gigs of ram or a "stock" C2D of some unknown speed.

Thanks,
Rich

I was thinking I would get a:

P35 Chipset Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
1066 Ram:
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5 - Retail

What processor should I go for? I dont mind buying a cheapie now & getting something better down the line. I also can wait for July if the pricing will get 'that' much better.

I would definitely wait for July and get either a Q6600 or one of the 6X50 CPUs depending what you will be doing with it. For servers I suppose the Q6600 would be better. But if you must get something now and you are not planning to OC then you should look at the E6420 or E6600.

Here is the July 22nd pricing:
Inte.jpg

richklein said:
Hi,

I currently have an Asus P4C-800E & Northwood 3.2ghz chip, with 1 gig of ram.

I am using this in a CCTV / Home Automation file server. I consistantly see 80% processor usage when both programs are in use.

I do need more ram, but before I put any money into this clunker, I figured I would check to see if I would see a large performance improvement.

This is a 24/7 PC that is also a fileserver (on a small network).

I have also have a 3.2 Dual Core that is OC'ed to 4ghz with 2 gigs of ram that I could swap for this file server as well. Again, I dont know if that would bring my processor usage rate much lower. Thats more my personal PC that I almost never use (I have been much more into laptops these days), its supposed to be a gaming machine, but I have not played a game in a long time.

Any suggestions aside from to upgrade to something newer?

Thanks,
Rich

a 4ghz dual core will work fine as a home server for what you are doing. building a whole new c2d machine seems overkill for your purposes.

Im just not sure I want to OC the server. While the 4ghz Dual Core overclock is (in my opinion 100%) stable. There are three main critical apps that are running on it & I want to make sure if I am out of town for a week, that everything runs smoothly.

So with that being said, is there any performance gain from a 3.2 northwood to a 3.2 dual core (not C2D)?

richklein said:
Im just not sure I want to OC the server. While the 4ghz Dual Core overclock is (in my opinion 100%) stable. There are three main critical apps that are running on it & I want to make sure if I am out of town for a week, that everything runs smoothly.

So with that being said, is there any performance gain from a 3.2 northwood to a 3.2 dual core (not C2D)?

I think your Pentium D 940 will handle your file server duties fine, even at stock speed. A stock Pentium E2140 might be faster then a stock 940 though, for the power cost savings alone I think investing in a C2D or Pentium "E" dual-core is a wise choice unless money is a concern. Either option should do your server well.

LOL the SLOWEST core 2 duo E2140 (1.6ghz 800mhz fsb) is probably 2x as fast as your 3.2ghz p4 northwood.... i went from a P4 3.0ghz northwood to a e6600 (2.4ghz that i run at 3.0ghz) and there is NO competition...

and as stated... C2D is the ONLY way to go right now.

That 4400 looks pretty cheap & it will be a little cheaper in July. I wonder about getting that for the time being, then getting the quad core once its out for a while & is cheaper.

Can you use 800fsb ram with the quad core (1066 ram)? Or should I just go for the 1333 ram & aim for either the quad core or the E6850?

If i am going to spend the money upgrading this server, I have no problem spending 600 or so bucks to do it. All I think I need is the mobo, ram & processor. If i buy this with a planned processor upgrade in 6 months, this might be a good way to go?

richklein said:
That 4400 looks pretty cheap & it will be a little cheaper in July. I wonder about getting that for the time being, then getting the quad core once its out for a while & is cheaper.

Can you use 800fsb ram with the quad core (1066 ram)? Or should I just go for the 1333 ram & aim for either the quad core or the E6850?

If i am going to spend the money upgrading this server, I have no problem spending 600 or so bucks to do it. All I think I need is the mobo, ram & processor. If i buy this with a planned processor upgrade in 6 months, this might be a good way to go?

"800mhz" ram will run at spec at 1:1 @ 400mhz fsb (1600mhz quad pumped) so its actually over kill for running stuff at stock... heck on a 1333fsb processor 1:1 would be 667mhz ram...

i would just grab a E2140 or 2160 and have fun ocing it... or leave it stock untill you feel like upgrading if you do to a quad or what not.

So a stock quad core Q6600 needs 667mhz ddr 2 to run?

A E4400 only needs 400mhz DD2? Or does DD2 @ 400mhz automatically make it 800mhz (double DDR 1)?

What speed is a E2140 or 60?

I really want to run this stock 24/7 as it is a server & while I would love to OC the heck out of it, I think it will be safer & more stable in its stock form.

So, thats why I want to make sure that stock for stock that a NW 3.2ghz vs a 940 Dual Core 3.2ghz vs say a E4400 how that would work.

Right now, that server (with nothing going on but those apps running with no users logged in) is using 75% processor. It has been running sluggishly for quite a while.

richklein said:
So a stock quad core Q6600 needs 667mhz ddr 2 to run?

A E4400 only needs 400mhz DD2? Or does DD2 @ 400mhz automatically make it 800mhz (double DDR 1)?

What speed is a E2140 or 60?

I really want to run this stock 24/7 as it is a server & while I would love to OC the heck out of it, I think it will be safer & more stable in its stock form.

So, thats why I want to make sure that stock for stock that a NW 3.2ghz vs a 940 Dual Core 3.2ghz vs say a E4400 how that would work.

Right now, that server (with nothing going on but those apps running with no users logged in) is using 75% processor. It has been running sluggishly for quite a while.

an E4XXX and E2XXX both have 800mhz fsb's like your P4 3.2c... its exactly the same but i dont think DDR2 400 is made... plus some DDR2 800 can be found CHEAP... and you can simply run at a 1:2 fsb to ram ratio to run your ram at 800mhz.

ALSO if you were to grab a E2140 (1.6ghz 8x200) you could EASILY run it at 266fsb if not 333 fsb at stock or under stock voltage TODALLY stable, giving you 2.13 and 2.66ghz respectivly... and at thoes clocks it will smack around a pentium d 3.4ghz cpu without even thinking... pluss it would be way cheap!

I mean if my E6600 can do a 25% oc (3.0ghz) with a 10% undervolt (1.225v vs. 1.325v stock vid) todally stable... im sure a E2140 could do 333fsb without even touching the voltage.

I just read your entire first post and if you dont use your current desktop much... why not make it do server duty, and try it out to see what kinda performance you get and if you dont like it get a C2D rig.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was thinking about swapping the insides to the server (from the Pentium D system), but that would require a reinstall, then to go to the next system & another reinstall.

I just figured I would grab the GB Mobo (P35 chipset), some inexpensive ram, & a cheapie processor that I could upgrade to a quad core at some point (possibly).

I am a little confused about the Ram though. DDR2 is up to 1066 mhz? I see some C2D's need 1333 ram.

I was looking at this: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5 - Retail.

It is compatible with the Giga mobo (P35) that I am looking at & at $130, it doesnt break the bank for 2 gigs of memory.

Is that good enough? If I go for an E6850 (1333 ram) is that memory good enough or should I be getting something higher end to run the 1333.

Without the OC factor, does PC8500 handle a 1333 memory requirement?

I wouldnt mind buying that e2140, running it either stock or slightly OC'ed & then in 2 months (or whenever) get a faster chip with the intention of just pulling the old & putting in the new processor.

Does that should like that would work?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse :)

ok the FSB on a intel cpu is quad pumped... so 1333mhzfsb is 333fsb quad pumped. 1066fsb is 266fsb quad pumped. Now as for what ram you can use with these processors it depends on what dividers the board has on it. most boards that support c2d will have dividers that will allow you to run ram any where between 533 - 1066 mhz at any fsb strap (default quadpumped fsb of the cpu 800, 1066, 1333mhz) with the use of some ram dividers.

Essientally just grab your self some DDR2 800 and this will give you some oc headroom as well as great ram bandwidth.

So the DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) will run the current C2D's.

If I want a newer E6850 (the 3ghz 1333fsb processor), will the DDR2 800 work, or should I just go for the DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500)?

Since the board I am looking at supports the 1333fsb, I assume that 1333fsb memory will work.

Is that right?

Is the DDR2 1066 memory just DDR800 that is spec'ed to run at 1066? Is that the same as the DDR 1333, is it just DDR 800 that they know will run at 1333?

The current chips fsb 1066(4x266) really only "require" ddr2 533(2x266). Likewise the upcoming chips fsb 1333(4x333) only need DDR2 667(2x333).
Yes, the current DDR2 spec'ed above 800 is just better binned and overclocked DDR2 800.

So the fastest actual DDR2 memory is 667mhz (2x333). There is nothing faster but there is overclocked DDR 677.

DDR 800 is just overclocked, as is 1066 & 1333, its all just better speced ram?

sort of a guarentee to run at 1066mhz instead of the stock 667mhz?

Back