• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions Best water cooling setup for $300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

projectrps13

Registered
I'm going to be building a quad core rig in July. I'm weighing my cooling options. Swinging back and forth between the CoolIT Freezone and a watercooled setup. I will be getting a Q6600 and overclocking to 3.2Ghz (hopefully). Would like opinions on what I should do, and what the best watercooled setup I can get is for $300. I will only be cooling the CPU with this setup, possibly my sli setup in the future (when money is available). I was hoping for something I can mount cleanly inside a Lian Li V2000 with minimal mods.

Swiftech H2O 220 Apex, its only like 225-250 and comes with EVERYTHING needed. All you have to do is find a spot for the reservoir and the radiator.

Thanks, i've taken a look at that kit, looks like it includes everything needed. I've also looked at the Koolance cases (since they are lian li and watercooling is built in). Dont know if it would work any better since they are claiming 700 watts of heat dissapation.

I'd steer clear of most of the prefab systems in a case (koolance and thermaltake in particular). They work, but they're made as cheapily as possible, good for a quiet non overclocked system, not good for overclocking usually though.

I haven't heard good things about the Freezone. It will handle the duos and a stock quad but once you put a decent oc on a quad it becomes less and less effective. I second Mike's opinion on koolance, Thermaltake,... You would be fine with the swiftech or better yet one of these http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html

I notice petra's kit does not have a reservoir, this may be a stupid question, but do you just use the fillport? Also, would the thermochill radiator be a better choice than the swiftech?

Thermochills are better, but in my humble opinion not worth the cash (over twice as much as an MCR220 for a PA120.2 for example...)

All that you need is a T-line. A reservoir just adds a little more fluid to your loop and no practical gain. If you want to add one it won't hurt anything but its not necessary.

projectrps13 said:
Big Mike, what kinda temps are you getting with your kit?
low 40s idle, 60 in orthos, i think it needs a little more lapping work and a better application of as5. i'm cooling the 8800 with it as well. no speed step and 1.50 volts. btw, just noticed the rps13 in your name, what all do you have done to it? me and my friend have built several of them for people, fun cars.

I think the term was had, I had to get rid of it. It had an sr20det swap, with upgraded turbo, and FMIC. I was kinda paranoid about cooling with the SR (had dual core aluminum radiator) and it's carrying over to my pc. I was looking at this case for my new build, looks like i may be able to fit a radiator up top?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163073 Any suggestions on good watercooling cases would be appreciated. Right now I'm just considering Lian Li, Silverstone, and CM stackers.

Last edited:
projectrps13 said:
I think the term was had, I had to get rid of it. It had an sr20det swap, with upgraded turbo, and FMIC. I was kinda paranoid about cooling with the SR (had dual core aluminum radiator) and it's carrying over to my pc. I was looking at this case for my new build, looks like i may be able to fit a radiator up top?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163073 Any suggestions on good watercooling cases would be appreciated. Right now I'm just considering Lian Li, Silverstone, and CM stackers.

That sucks, my buddy had to get rid of his drag car project, but we built a KA24DE with a PT67 that made almost 500 hp (well, when its running, his girlfriend can't keep her foot out of it and has blown it up several times, it only takes a minor problem to take out a KA tuned that high) and a 2.2 stroker SR for another friends show car.

That TJ09 might work, you might also check out the TJ07 (has a great spot for a radiator in the bottom with the power supply) and I personally like the Thermaltake Armor, you can mount a BIG radiator in front, a double easily and a triple if your willing to limit it to one 5.25 drive and the 3.5/power switch bay.

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the FD in your pic man.. clean. I'm all about clean looking cars. You cant find a nice clean FD these days, but I hear mazda may be trying to bring something like it back.

May be a little late to put in my .02 but I second that Petra's Elite Kit.

The Fuzion is a great performing block if not the best compared to an Apogee GTX.

WonderingSoul said:
May be a little late to put in my .02 but I second that Petra's Elite Kit.

The Fuzion is a great performing block if not the best compared to an Apogee GTX.

Is the Fuzion a better block than the Apogee GTX? That's the block I was thinking about getting.

I haven't found any comprehensive results as to which is better. But I know the Fuzion is a GREAT performer.

Back