• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Piezo buzzer to the SPKR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Propaganda

I am building a custom case and I don't want to use a speaker for the BIOS codes. (if needed) I would perfer something in an extremely small form factor such as a miniature piezo buzzer.

I am thinking I could connect a piezo buzzer w/out a driver built-in and function.

Any thoughts or experiences? I would simply try it but I don't have any non built-in driver piezo buzzers.

That would work just fine. Just have to make sure the voltage ratings are the same. Here's a link that shows a similar speaker setup that comes with some cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ue+Steel+ATX+Mid+Tower+Computer+Case+-+Retail

Here's some places you can buy one:
http://www.xoxide.com/hspc-atx-control-kit.html

http://www.directron.com/d500speaker.html

Probably other places to find them as well....

speaker.JPG

Last edited:
Propaganda said:
hmmm... i wonder if those have drivers or not built-in... I would like to assume that they don't have built-in drivers... but,...

Drivers as in part of the speaker or driver as in software that allows the computer to communicate with hardware?

To the first part: I'm not really sure how piezo speakers work...but I'd guess there's some sort of driver.

But to the second part: if you are referring to a software/hardware driver...there is no such thing needed for a speaker like this...you just hook it directly to the motherboard connector for the case speaker.

Some Piezo buzzers can just be powered and make a set tone while others need a circuit to determine pitch and volume. (Hence a 'driving' circuit)

I am flipping through my Mouser catalog and the terms I am seeing are 'external drive', 'self-drive', and 'built-in drive'. I'm about to do a google search on the second and third, they seem like the same thing.

Propaganda said:
Some Piezo buzzers can just be powered and make a set tone while others need a circuit to determine pitch and volume. (Hence a 'driving' circuit)

I am flipping through my Mouser catalog and the terms I am seeing are 'external drive', 'self-drive', and 'built-in drive'. I'm about to do a google search on the second and third, they seem like the same thing.

ahh ok, gotcha

I am just goin' to pick up all three and test it on an older mobo... they are only a buck or so each. If anyone is interested I will post my findings in a few weeks or so.

the peizo transducer will work as it only takes a current to pass throught it... i believe that is all that the system speaker is...

for the beep codes only requires a peizo disc

I inspected a few PCs... a gateway with a piezo onboard buzzer... the numbers did not check. The I found an old mobo from the duron 1200mhz era the onboard piezo buzzer checked 'kc-1206"... = MAGNETIC TRANSDUCER. PDF

Then I connected a self-drive piezo to the speaker output of the last mobo... it worked fine. So I ordered a self-drive and a MAGNETIC TRANSDUCER.

Back