• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well Q6600 overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbq

I'm thinking to get Q6600 in July when Intel cuts off the price. I want to know how well this beast o/c ? what's the everage/range people get?

Thank you

I got to a stable 3 pretty easily, then started dropping voltage to try and keep noise/temps manageable.

yep..3ghz is about right for air....some reached 3.2+ on water (which is what i hope to reach)
Any idea which motherboard you're getting?

GTengineer said:
The norm seems to be around 3.0 to 3.2GHz. Cooling seems to be the major factor so don't expect them to OC as well as the E6600. But even at 3GHz they should give a MAJOR boost if you are using software that can make use of all the cores.

I am getting antsy LOL the Q6600 just dipped below $500 at the egg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115017

I know some people are against it... but I buy my stuff off Ebay and they're going for a bit cheaper these days. =|

btw, you were helping me on my other thread.. if my northbridge is that much hot... is it within reason to suspect that my ambience in general is just high? resulting in my ridiculous temps?

treatmentx said:
I know some people are against it... but I buy my stuff off Ebay and they're going for a bit cheaper these days. =|

btw, you were helping me on my other thread.. if my northbridge is that much hot... is it within reason to suspect that my ambience in general is just high? resulting in my ridiculous temps?

treatment,

I just re-read your other post. I am not sure if the system temperature you are looking at is indeed the NB or not. But in any case, if your ambient temperatures are high they will affect all components in your system (including the cpu even if you are on water).

Think of it this way, assume you have very good cooling with fans blowing a lot of air on the NB and CPU, if your ambient temps are high you are going to reduce the effectiveness of your cooling no matter what component we are talking about.

Unfortunately I am not sure what temps are "high" for your NB or mine for that matter :) Temperatures ranges for NB's I think vary more for different boards/chips.

Easy test: Why don't you just try turning down the A/C, that should easily tell you if your temperature problem is the ambient or the cpu not properly making contact.

ElricM said:
I'm using the P5K3 Deluxe - config is in my signature.
How is the DDR3 working out for you? I am thinking of picking some up in September when I finally get enough money to build a new rig.

LOL

I'm surprised how the masses still haven't caught on to how these quads really are. Truth is, a quad running at 3ghz has so dam much power it is almost pointless. It is like they just idle around with everything they do.

Worrying about how far a Q6600 will overclock is borderline pointless(unless of coarse you are looking for the benchmark points). What you really want is a Q6600 running at 2.7ish and drop the voltage way down so it runs cool.

And for all you---(Ghz is all important since so many applications aren't multi threaded....), just shut your traps unless you've actually owned one of these Intel quad cores. A quad will grind threw anything without even breaking a sweat. Your typical highly overclocked dual core is like having a high rev V12 gass motor with lots and lots of horspower, VS the quad which is a huge *** diesel with thousands of pounds of torque that can just idle threw even the toughest of tasks.

I mean seriously, when is the last time you read a quad core owner say..."this cpu isn't bad but I am disappointed with it's overclock"?.

So I got a Q6600 back in April after the first drop. It can do 3.2 on air but the temps get near the red line. 3.0 is better only because I can use a vcore of 1.2625V.

Anyway, have a look at the sticky on overclocking C2D and C2Qs; I wrote it based on my experiences with this Q6600. I tried to captures as much as I could beyond overclocking such as minimizing the vcore, CPU/HS lapping, fixing vdroop, etc.

Also, in my experience, you aren't going to see a difference between 3.0 and 3.2 when doing "standard" stuff. Hell, I can't tell a difference between 2.4 and 3.0 when just browsing the 'net and writing. I only see the difference when using x264 for video encoding... this app uses all 4 cores. Unfortunately, there aren't that many apps out right now that can do this. In fact, x264 is the only "real world" app that can in my experience. All the other apps I use barely uses two of the four cores when under load... they're closer to 30-35 % net CPU load.

Those of us that Fold (F@H) will absolutely make the most out of every CPU cycle that these things have. :D Expecting a decent bump in team 32's (ocforums team) F@H production when the price cut hits, as a lot of us are going to jump on newegg like rabid wolves once the price cut comes.

There may not be a lot that can use a quad core processor to its fullest potential at the moment, but if all else fails, Fold! :D

hyperasus said:
And for all you---(Ghz is all important since so many applications aren't multi threaded....), just shut your traps unless you've actually owned one of these Intel quad cores. A quad will grind threw anything without even breaking a sweat. Your typical highly overclocked dual core is like having a high rev V12 gass motor with lots and lots of horspower, VS the quad which is a huge *** diesel with thousands of pounds of torque that can just idle threw even the toughest of tasks.

So you're saying people should 'shut their traps' when stating the truth? Because it is true that for apps which aren't capable of using more than 1 or 2 cores a higher-clocked dualcore is faster, just look at any of the pro reviews. The difference comes in a few apps that are 4-core capable or heavy multitasking.

Charr said:
How is the DDR3 working out for you? I am thinking of picking some up in September when I finally get enough money to build a new rig.

Working out well so far - running at 1333 at CL8 (what its rated for) with no problems. Haven't tried playing with the memory settings at all, yet.

Alhvatr said:
what idle/load temps you getting on that?

In a cool room, the cores are idling 38-42C, full load (orthos) on all pushes them up to 62-64C with the overclock.

hyperasus said:
LOL

I'm surprised how the masses still haven't caught on to how these quads really are. Truth is, a quad running at 3ghz has so dam much power it is almost pointless. It is like they just idle around with everything they do.

Worrying about how far a Q6600 will overclock is borderline pointless(unless of coarse you are looking for the benchmark points). What you really want is a Q6600 running at 2.7ish and drop the voltage way down so it runs cool.

I mean seriously, when is the last time you read a quad core owner say..."this cpu isn't bad but I am disappointed with it's overclock"?.

when you are doing CPU intensive computations like me who take 2 days to complete even 200MHz extra help A LOT.

GTengineer said:
when you are doing CPU intensive computations like me who take 2 days to complete even 200MHz extra help A LOT.

For people like us a few hundred mhz will help a lot, but two extra cores will help a WHOLE lot more. What would take my old dual cores at a higher clock a a few weeks to process would only take 60-65% of that time for my quad at a lower speed.

GTengineer said:

What are you doing that requires 2 days to process (just out of curiosity)?

graysky said:
What are you doing that requires 2 days to process (just out of curiosity)?

Aerothermodynamic and thermal protection sizing on hypersonic vehicles (similar to tiles on the Space Shuttle). It is not just the code itself that takes long but the fact that I need to run A LOT of cases.

Last edited:
Back