• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could Jerry Sanders Come Back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I've read over the past few week’s articles on AMD and the way things are going and quite a few times many have stated they want "Jerry Back". I didn’t know who he was so I went to answers.com and found out http://www.answers.com/topic/jerry-sanders not much info on him. But he's led an interesting life so far how he founded AMD and the amount of deals he did that at 1 time when the company was on the verge of bankruptcy sealed a deal that saved them.

He also lavished his employees as well with the thing in mind "If I am too make money so are my employees". At 1 time someone won $1000 a month for 20 years $240,000 in total anyways could he come back and put AMD on track.

There's the so called denial of fabless design for the future of AMD? Rumours of IBM could be the key to putting AMD on track and the talk of Jerry coming back.

Do you think he should?

I read that Pheonom has serious bugs and peformance issues in frequencies and Barcelona is supposed to be out in August. Many blame that Hector guy different views state good idea in buying ATi but he must of got lost in the clouds after that.

All products are late no mid-range 2XXX series cards out yet in main stream production. It's getting out of hand that Jerry guy but be well pi**ed off.

It's not Hectors fault.
The problems lay when a spanish speaking American tries to communicate in English to a french speaking Canadian :D

No, I'm pretty sure the problem is Hector :D.

See: Motorola. As I've pointed to time and time again, he always wants to do something besides what a company is good at and it always hurts the company in the long run, Flash memory being a common attempt and a commonly failing attempt. Between Spansion, the Geode, and AMD... it looks like he's right on schedule with what he did to derail PPC at Motorola. That started with flash memory and other support ICs, increasing mobile phone development, and deciding to focus communications technology efforts on cable modems and DSL modems. Out of these only the mobile phone segment didn't fail and you can't really thank him for that because Motorola has *always* made money off of cell phones. While he was playing with those, the G4 chip remained in limbo at 450MHz for a year and a "late" 500Mhz for a year afterwards. Meanwhile AMD hit 1GHz.

Hmmm, expanding horizontally while creating weakened CPU products and not being able to deliver at speed... hmmm why does that sound familiar?

Kind of like what Carly did to HP. Sent HP down in flames b/c she wanted to buy Compaq. Costed me my job @ HP too. Lucky they got rid of her and they're recovering now, thanks to HPs printer division making money. I hope AMD can recover as well, Im losing some faith in them though.

Last edited:
First off Carly did not send HP down in flames, HP produced some of the best systems during her tenure, the male establishment fought her along with some political issues that are not appropriate here. I opened an HP box yesterday to discover it had solid CAPs near the CPU circa 2000-2001.

Hector did not run Motorolas CPU division into the ground, the American people and their love of Microsoft did. Motorola phones were the best mobiles out there but Nokia was cheaper.

AMD was a parts maker before getting into CPUs back about the early 80s and they did not spin off of intel. As for purchasing video processor maker ATI, that was a destiny less AMD reinvent the wheel to make their own and possibly face lawsuits with patents et-al. Companies merge all the time and it does no more than to mess with morale a little for the company that gets sucked in. We should have expected a drop in ATI for a year or two then pick back up. As for Barcelona delays, remeber AMD was moving toward the hounds K9 when Intel jumped out with the Dothanks and Meroms. At the same time AMD was having to expand it's operations to meet the growing demands. The solor panel industry as well as other teck industries including ram, tvs, ipods and game consoles are growing exponentially. This drove up the price of silicon ingots and caused some delays from what I read a few years ago. While demand grew (under Hector) the development to production startup of Fab38 as proceeding on schedule and is now the main diffuser of CPUs and other AMD products.

Arm chair CEOing always ends up with the kind of articles and posts we are seeing. If Intel had failed on the Conroe and Xeon ? then amd could be years behind and no one would be saying anything. Thats life! Let's just see what happens when all the chips are on the table.

Back