• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm...This is odd Must agree to EULA to enable SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dribblesnort

So I'm goofing off on my computer last night playing around with memory timings to see how they affect my 3DMark06 scores and I noticed that I was scoring lower than I should be.

I went into the nVidia display properties and made sure that SLI was enabled but was still scoring lower than I ought to.

I went back into the nVidia control panel and went to the advanced section and noticed there was a setting that let you choose the method used to render your screen when SLI was enabled.

It turns out mine was set to Single GPU Only or some such crap like that.

When I selected Alternate Frame Rendering from the drop-down list, I got a EULA-Like pop up that I had to scroll through and accept prior to the system accepting my setting.

Utilizing AFR instead of the default improved my 3dMark06 scores by 1617 points (9091 now instead of 7474) so I'm wondering why the default setting once SLI is enabled is set to Single GPU Only.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I'm a bit confused as to why SLI isn't "really" SLI until you select the second option and click another EULA...

dribblesnort said:
So I'm goofing off on my computer last night playing around with memory timings to see how they affect my 3DMark06 scores and I noticed that I was scoring lower than I should be.

I went into the nVidia display properties and made sure that SLI was enabled but was still scoring lower than I ought to.

I went back into the nVidia control panel and went to the advanced section and noticed there was a setting that let you choose the method used to render your screen when SLI was enabled.

When I selected Alternate Frame Rendering from the drop-down list, I got a EULA-Like pop up that I had to scroll through and accept prior to the system accepting my setting.

Utilizing AFR instead of the default improved my 3dMark06 scores by 1617 points (9091 now instead of 7474) so I'm wondering why the default setting once SLI is enabled is set to Single GPU Only.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I'm a bit confused as to why SLI isn't "really" SLI until you select the second option and click another EULA...

Hmm strange indeed....I'd think it would default to a dual GPU rendering method. Perhaps some sort of minor error in setup by nvidia? :shrug:

UglyChild said:
Thats how Nvidia drivers are; full of bugs. At one point, they were misspelling things in CP.

Well it is possible that the drivers are a bit buggy. I'm using version 6.14.10.9371 according to Futuremark and I'm pretty sure those are a bit older than the current release.

I know a lot of people who use the latest version "just" for the sake of using the "latest" version, but do you think there is a big enough difference between the versions to warrant upgrading them?

Heres how it works from my personal view.

Nvidia is very good at releasing lots of BETA drivers. They throw it at the public and let the public be the guinea pig to find all the bugs and problems. And some months and dozens of betas, youll get a final WHQL driver.

So to answer your question. If you are having issues, perhaps you should try upgrading your drivers to something newer and hope it solves your issues. You might have to try different once in order to find the once that work for you. Thats why we have newer driver releases, is to fix previous problems.
At times, newer drivers, give more problems to some people, and give better performance and compatibility to other people. So its all about trial and error, till you find what works just for you.

dribblesnort said:
So I'm goofing off on my computer last night playing around with memory timings to see
how they affect my 3DMark06 scores and I noticed that I was scoring lower than I should be.

I went into the nVidia display properties and made sure that SLI was enabled but was still scoring lower than I
ought to.

I went back into the nVidia control panel and went to the advanced section and noticed there was a setting that
let you choose the method used to render your screen when SLI was enabled.

When I selected Alternate Frame Rendering from the drop-down list, I got a EULA-Like pop up that I had to
scroll through and accept prior to the system accepting my setting.

Utilizing AFR instead of the default improved my 3dMark06 scores by 1617 points (9091 now instead of 7474)
so I'm wondering why the default setting once SLI is enabled is set to Single GPU Only.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I'm a bit confused as to why SLI isn't "really" SLI until you
select the second option and click another EULA...

Single GPU is the default SLI rendering setting. The naming of it is rather stupid as in Single GPU mode the
drivers will choose the best way to SLI. It doesn't mean only one card of the SLI pair will be working. Rather
it is referring to both GPU's combined as a single entity to the drivers. I think it is one of those foreign
translation that just didn't come out right lol.

Not really sure why you got the EULA when you forced AFR. You will get a message saying you are
changing away from the default of the drivers choosing the SLI method though and you have to acknowledge
that message to continue . Are you sure that is not what you saw???

Changing away from Single GPU SLI Mode should have no impact on your 3DM06 score. You might want to
uninstall, clean then reinstall the drivers.

Viper

Last edited:
happened to me back on my 7600GTs in SLI. Very annoying indeed.

I think I actually did "alternate frame rendering 2" though.

Last edited:
ViperJohn said:
Single GPU is the default SLI rendering setting. The naming of it is rather stupid as in Single GPU mode the
drivers will choose the best way to SLI. It doesn't mean only one card of the SLI pair will be working. Rather
it is referring to both GPU's combined as a single entity to the drivers. I think it is one of those foreign
translation that just didn't come out right lol.

Not really sure why you got the EULA when you forced AFR. You will get a message saying you are
changing away from the default of the drivers choosing the SLI method though and you have to acknowledge
that message to continue . Are you sure that is not what you saw???

Changing away from Single GPU SLI Mode should have no impact on your 3DM06 score. You might want to
uninstall, clean then reinstall the drivers.

Viper

When I changed from Single GPU to AFR I got a 1617 increase in scores from 7474 to 9091. Not sure why so that's part of why I posted...weird, huh?

Back