• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800gts on XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UBERCOOL

I just bought an 8800gts 320mb and I really want to run it on Windows XP because I hate vista but we wont go into that. My problem is that if I install windows, it goes through the setup process just fine but when it reaches the first time it is going to boot into windows I get a black screen (the monitor is receiving and image, it is just black). I figure it is a driver problem, so I pop in my GeForce FX5200 128mb PCI card to install drivers. When I try and install the lastest XP drivers from the site 158.33 or something, the computer blue screens and reboots. I have tried everything including taking my OC down to stock. HELP!!!!!!!

How about just using 1 stick of ram to install XP? I have a funny feeling one of those sticks is bad. I had the same problem and when i switched ram the problem resolved.

Well Nebulous, that would make me very sad. But a very good suggestion so I will give it a go and see.

Well, I really don't think it is the memory because I am running smoothly on Vista 64-bit as we speak. Also after a lot more googling it appears that some people have this problem and it is something to do with the default 8800gts drivers and their default monitor drivers.

UBERCOOL said:
Well, I really don't think it is the memory because I am running smoothly on Vista 64-bit as we speak. Also after a lot more googling it appears that some people have this problem and it is something to do with the default 8800gts drivers and their default monitor drivers.
Fire it up in safemode and change the drivers.

Alright, think I have it working now. I started with the 158.xx drivers and everytime I would load windows I would get an error about the driver crashing. So I ended up going back to the 97.44 drivers and even though the first time I tried to install them it blue screened, everything appears to be working now. Makes me feel a little better, because I was kind of ticked I bought a $250 card and it wasn't working!

The Rule of Thumb is; Install OS, Updates, and all your Software with the system at Stock speed. In other words, make sure, nothing is OC'ed during installation of all software of any kind. That will eliminate many problems and BSOD's.

UglyChild said:
The Rule of Thumb is; Install OS, Updates, and all your Software with the system at Stock speed. In other words, make sure, nothing is OC'ed during installation of all software of any kind. That will eliminate many problems and BSOD's.
To add...if your overclock is unstable. If it is perfectly rock solid 100% stable, there will never be an issue...:beer:

thideras said:
To add...if your overclock is unstable. If it is perfectly rock solid 100% stable, there will never be an issue...:beer:

Better to be safe then sorry. Just cause your system is 2000 hours Ortho stable, doesnt mean you wont get a BSOD. Ortho and programs a like, dont cover all of real world scenarios. :)

Back