Forum Jump

PSU Question(s).

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 05:25 PM Thread Starter   #1
Jalida
Registered

PSU Question(s).

Hi,
I've installed a second Nvidia 8800GTS video card and at the moment Im using the adapter that allows me to plug the 8800 into two molex plugs to supply it power.

My PSU is a Raidmax Volcano 630w unit but I've long since lost the instruction sheet and possibly one or more of the cables.

The original PCIe cable out of the PSU has two plugs on the end of it, I would naturally assume this is for SLI (because I know that this PSU stated somewhere that it is SLI ready), but don't want to use the one PCIe plug for powering two video cards unless this is how they all work.

I can't see the back of the unit without pulling it out which would be a major chore due to all the cables being ziptied nice and neat everywhere, so is it normal that one PCIe power cable supplies two video cards? Or would you guess that there must be another PCIe plug on the back of the unit and I've probably just lost the other PCIe cable?

Thanks,
Jalida is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-01-07, 01:51 AM   #2
Roisen

Your PSU.

That's really all I can do for you.
Roisen is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-01-07, 01:56 AM   #3
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalida
Hi,
I've installed a second Nvidia 8800GTS video card and at the moment Im using the adapter that allows me to plug the 8800 into two molex plugs to supply it power.

My PSU is a Raidmax Volcano 630w unit but I've long since lost the instruction sheet and possibly one or more of the cables.

The original PCIe cable out of the PSU has two plugs on the end of it, I would naturally assume this is for SLI (because I know that this PSU stated somewhere that it is SLI ready), but don't want to use the one PCIe plug for powering two video cards unless this is how they all work.

I can't see the back of the unit without pulling it out which would be a major chore due to all the cables being ziptied nice and neat everywhere, so is it normal that one PCIe power cable supplies two video cards? Or would you guess that there must be another PCIe plug on the back of the unit and I've probably just lost the other PCIe cable?

Thanks,
I don't quite understand the confusion here. The power supply has PCIE connectors, use em

I see what you mean with the connectors, I don't that is used for SLi, I think it is used on video cards such as the 8800GTX where it needs two of the PCIE power connectors.

IMO just use that connector as it probably has a seperate rail for the video card.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-01-07, 02:37 AM   #4
ViperJohn
Senior Radeon Mod God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thideras
I don't quite understand the confusion here. The power supply has PCIE connectors, use em

I see what you mean with the connectors, I don't that is used for SLi, I think it is used on video cards such as the 8800GTX where it needs two of the PCIE power connectors.

IMO just use that connector as it probably has a seperate rail for the video card.
It doesn't. It is a plain Jane split rail 12V1 @ 18 amps / 12V2 A 16 amps power supply. If the power
supply is fully ATX 2.0/2.1 compliant then the only thing 12V2 powers is the 4/8 pin motherboard aux
connector which feeds core 2 of a dual core CPU and core 2, 3 and 4 of a Quad core. Everything else
12V comes off 12V1.

Viper

8800GTS 512Mb to 885 x 2106 / 1224 ViperFang-VI Water Cooled
8800 Ultra to 756x1944/1269 ViperFang-IV Water Cooled
2900XT to 992/1197 ViperFang-IV Water Cooled
8800GTX to 756x1784/1161 ViperVenom TEC Cooled
Pictures at www.imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn
ViperJohn is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-01-07, 02:39 AM   #5
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJohn
It doesn't. It is a plain Jane split rail 12V1 @ 18 amps / 12V2 A 16 amps power supply. If the power
supply is fully ATX 2.0/2.1 compliant then the only thing 12V2 powers is the 4/8 pin motherboard aux
connector which feeds core 2 of a dual core CPU and core 2, 3 and 4 of a Quad core. Everything else
12V comes off 12V1.

Viper
Good to know, thanks!

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-01-07, 02:42 AM Thread Starter   #6
Jalida
Registered

Thanks for the information. The problem is that the volcano can't supply enough power for the two Nvidia 8800GTS cards. The PSU only has one PCI-e plug on it, and if I plug both 8800's into that one cable, the PSU will turn off the computer when playing 3D heavy games. A temporary work around is to plug one of the video cards into one of the peripherial plugs so that they aren't both on the one PCI-e cable. As I understand it, the 8800GTS's would like to have 26-28A each and this PSU only supplies 18A on each 12V. So it's not adequate (I've since found out) to supply the recommended 52A of power.

Im heading out next week to get a better PSU so that I can have my video cards get full power.
Jalida is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-01-07, 04:25 AM   #7
smokie mcpott

the amps 'required' by the 8800's is not 26-28 a piece.. thats 26a for the whole system... about 14a? per card. you dont need 52a necessarily but you do need a better PSU

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > nVidia GPUs
nVidia GPUs