• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Running VISTA On A Single Core CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Just wondering how many of you out there are running VISTA (which ever version is it) on a single core CPU. And if so what's the performance like do you have 2-3GB of RAM to get good performance can you open more than 1 program and it not get slow on you.

I was considering it but a googled loads of websites saying the best specs for VISTA and they all stated Dual Core. And at least 2GB or RAM to benifit from it without slowing it to a snails pace.

2Gb ram helps, runs fine with 1Gb, if you are not into games. single core - no problem (p-m sys. in the sig.)

I'm running Vista on a Pentium-m with 512mb of memory. Runs just fine IMO. Note that I've disabled a lot of the non-necessary services. I can watch divx movies in wmp11, while browsing the internet just fine, no stuttering at all. The reason why a lot of websites are recommending dual core is simply because that's whats available now. There are a lot more dual core cpus for sale now than single core, just like how all the new chips are 64bit.

My fiance has vista on her system with 1GB of ram on an Opty 144 @ 3GHz, and its pretty snappy, Single core is not a problem that I can see.

Arrrr cool well I am thinking of getting Premium but I am hoping my Diablo 2 L.O.D will play on it lol. Just that Premium has gone down to £55 and thats nice for a new op system.

I just set my rig up as a dualboot w/ XP Pro & Vista Home Premium.
CPU is an Opteron 148 @ 2915MHz w/ 2GB of RAM.
Seems to be running just fine.

I tried a copy of Vista RC1 on my original home built rig & It ran just fine also.
That comp is running a P4 2.4B Northwood @ 2.7Ghz w 1GB of PC800 RDRAM & 2 WD800JB HDD's in RAID 0 on an Abit TH7II-R board. The Vista Upgrade Advisor says that Vista is not compatible with the Highpoint RAID Controller on the mobo, yet it installed just fine with the XP RAID Drivers & was doing just fine. Go figure :shrug:
-Dave

I am running home premium with 4gb of ram but beware, anything past 3gb of ram and you start getting weird errors. My start menu has glitches in it sometimes, can't use the alt+tab function, windows explorer crashes.

I have an opty 148 @3ghz 2gb of ram and Vista is on dual boot with XP. I play cs source a LOT and Vista runs like garbage with it. It gets bad lag spikes and has consistently lower FPS. Nvidia drivers for 7900 and under is horrid for Vista.
I have 3 friends so far who upgraded to vista even though I told them not to. They all have put XP back on. They all game btw.

Ran Vista on a Nforce2 mobo with a AXP mobile barton @ 2.5Ghz w/1GB ram. Everything was fine. Even with Folding@Home running in the background, Vista was adequately fast. I had an AGP 6800GS for Areo too. My performance score was a 4.

I have vista business running on my laptop which is a 2.8Ghz P4-M with 1Gb of ram and it runs just fine.

I am really thinking of jumping on the VISTA bandwagon as of now I reformatted last night and re-installed XP Pro and I had to ring up to get to activate. I am thinking of getting Preimum seeing how it runs and if it's nice and smooth activating it.

I am right in saying you can install it see whats it's like then activate after yes? I wouldn't want to activate it if my system needs a few upgrades say a new graphics card and it all go t**s up when I try to activate it again.

The only trial is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. I don't think there is a trial for Vista.

I'm running Vista on the laptop that I'm using to post this right now...

Acer Aspire 5050-3465:
-MK36 (2.0GHz 512KB single core)
-1GB DDR2 (2x 512)
-80GB 5400rpm HD
-ATI Radeon x1100 (basically an x300 integrated gfx chip)

I can actually play WoW on this laptop at 1280x800.....although all setting are on the lowest they will go. I get close to the same fps in XP as I do in Vista with WoW, approx 13-30fps (fine for a resto druid), but I won't even attempt to try any other games on it.

Haven't noticed any kind of stuttering, but then again I don't try to encode a DVD on the laptop while trying to play WoW with iTunes open, along with 3 webpages open.....unlike when I'm on my desktop.

So essentially Vista runs fine on my laptop, single core processor & 1GB RAM, but I have XP and Vista as a Dual Boot option just in case something doesn't "behave" itself in Vista. ;) One thing I will say is that Vista is MURDER on my battery life.

I've done tests and for non gaming use, a laptop with PM 1.6 and 1.5GB of ram ran fine. This is comparing it to the Desktop in the Sig. I had Outlook, a few IE, Word, Excel and pdf windows open. Not a huge difference between it and XP. I think the magic is you have get min 1.5GB of memory and turn off Aero 3D. Areo 3D slows down your computer quite a bit with out a good video card. But still went back to XP after a week. I don't have a good video card on my laptop so no Aero 3D. Without that, there was no other reason to upgrade to Vista?

Back