• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build RAID 1 array from full HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CFster

Registered
I'm looking to build a file server on an ABIT NF7-S by starting out with one SATA drive. I'll start filling it up and add another drive later. Can I build a RAID 1 array without losing the data on the first drive?

CFster said:
I'm looking to build a file server on an ABIT NF7-S by starting out with one SATA drive. I'll start filling it up and add another drive later. Can I build a RAID 1 array without losing the data on the first drive?
Yes, very easily. When you add the second HDD, go into your raid utility (directly after POST) and tell it to mirror them. It will take an hour or two to move the data over.

If the OS drive is the one you want to mirror you will need to reload the OS because the OS will not know to boot from raid controller. right now its booting from somewhere else.

Airbornederekc said:
If the OS drive is the one you want to mirror you will need to reload the OS because the OS will not know to boot from raid controller. right now its booting from somewhere else.
He should be able to enable the RAID controller first with the current single drive, let Windows find the new hardware, then install the drivers. Once you create the RAID array, you just set the boot order in the BIOS and Windows should be happy to boot.

tuskenraider said:
He should be able to enable the RAID controller first with the current single drive, let Windows find the new hardware, then install the drivers. Once you create the RAID array, you just set the boot order in the BIOS and Windows should be happy to boot.

Yeah, it should work if you do it this way. If you want to double check, you can google something like "moving windows different ide controller".

Back