• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this improve my accuracy in CS:S?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

I currently have a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse and a very fine thing it is too but im starting to think i may need a higher dpi gaming mouse as i find it a pain in the *** having to move the mouse 2-3 inches to cover full x/y axis.

Will a higher dpi mouse enable me (say 2000dpi) to cover the width of my pc screen in a 1inch or less movement @ 1280x1024 or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Oc1Kenube said:
Will a higher dpi mouse enable me (say 2000dpi) to cover the width of my pc screen in a 1inch or less movement @ 1280x1024 or am i barking up the wrong tree?

IMO, if you want to improve your aim, you should start using lower sensitivity. i can't even make a full 180 degree turn in the width of my mouse pad (probably about 1 foot wide), but i have gotten really fast at making a couple of quick swipes. its a trade off, but i think it is totally worth it.

i use a g5 now, but i liked my mx518 better. on the g5, you can crank up the dpi really high, but it just makes the mouse way to sensitive for me to actually use, so i normally play at just 800dpi (the same dpi of my beloved mx519 R.I.P.)

bottom line is, if you feel you need a more sensitive mouse, the g5 will do what you want, but i think you are barking up the wrong tree, if better aim is the goal. ;)

I have a microsoft Habu, and use the mouse at 2000 dpi, but have my sensitivity set very low in windows, and very low in game (less then 2.0). That way, it gives me the extreme precision of high dpi, and makes it easy to line up those fine long distance headshots.

A very twitchy mouse makes it difficult to hone in on peoples heads. When i lowered my in game sensitivity, my headshots went way up.

Its more practice than mouse. I know someone who had a terrible computer and a ball mouse who went to CAL-P using it because he couldnt afford anything else but got so good playing with it.

There is no key to improve accuracy, you either learn it or you dont. It can't be taught or purchased.

My aim is pretty good already i just dont like double swiping or large movemnts. i have a very slight mouse movement and often miss the shot or get pwned while double swiping to reach far corner of the screen,thinking about getting a Razer or saitek 1600dpi twice the dpi of my trusty logitech which i will keep for web browsing etc. Is the g7 worth the extra money over the g5 too btw?

Oc1Kenube said:
Is the g7 worth the extra money over the g5 too btw?
depends. they are the same mouse just the g5 is wired and g7 is wireless. to me wireless is a must as corded mice make me want break them.

jaymz9350 said:
depends. they are the same mouse just the g5 is wired and g7 is wireless. to me wireless is a must as corded mice make me want break them.
hehe, i'm the total opposite, i can't stand cordless mice.

Oc1Kenube said:
I currently have a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse and a very fine thing it is too but im starting to think i may need a higher dpi gaming mouse as i find it a pain in the *** having to move the mouse 2-3 inches to cover full x/y axis.

I user a razer copperhead. I noticed a huge improvement. Hard to not use it now. woot.com sells razer products on sale now and then. Wait for a razer woot if you ask me. You can get them 1/2 off or more.

I use a reasonable high-sens (MX518, 1600dpi, 5.0 Sens in CS and CS:S, medium-high in windows, no accel in windows or CS). I find I do just fine with such. I make little movements but can control my mouse decently. I was dominating CS:S in a DM server last night, in fact :)

It's all practice. Though a mouse with a more accurate sensor is always better.

Make sure to have a good mousing surface too. I can't stress how much a good surface is. For instance, my friend has a decent optical mouse (My Old intellimouse explorer... was a great mouse), but he has no mousepad, and when the mouse is rested on his table for more than a half second, it gets stuck and needs considerable force to get the mouse to start moving again. I always find myself getting completely thrashed when playing at his house for the sole reason that I can't aim properly.

Don't buy into the gimmick that a new "gaming" mouse will make you any better. It just depends on what you get used to. If you want better accuracy, just turn your crosshair to 'small' and your in-game resolution to 800x600.

if you want you can crank up the sensitiviy really high on the MX1000 so that it is rediculously sensitive, but personally i just lowered mine by 50% last month and it helped my aim a ton

mage_x said:
Don't buy into the gimmick that a new "gaming" mouse will make you any better. It just depends on what you get used to. If you want better accuracy, just turn your crosshair to 'small' and your in-game resolution to 800x600.
QFT, 800X600 and CS/CSS were meant to be.

I recall reading an in depth review of every single gaming mouse and most of them were the same except those new fancy laser mouses which apparently have a freakout range when you twitch the mouse a little too quick.

To train aim just load up some fy_iceworld and throw 31 bots on the other team, give 'em knives and make sure every shot is a headshot.

Michael Warren said:
QFT, 800X600 and CS/CSS were meant to be.

and headphones, otherwise on the low res you wont see crap coming at you from either side, so you have to learn to listen good.

Mr.Guvernment said:
and headphones, otherwise on the low res you wont see crap coming at you from either side, so you have to learn to listen good.
^^true, i just started playing widescreen, in a window on my 21 inch crt. i don't think i can go back to not having that extra fov.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
hehe, i'm the total opposite, i can't stand cordless mice.
Have you used a G7? If not, you gotta check it out. This thing is a work of art. Been playing CS for the better part of the decade and I can safely say this has been the best mouse of them all.

Back