• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX and my GeForce3, they don't get along.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke009

First off, I hope a mod doesn't get upset that I kinda did a double post. I also posted this in Games, but after thinking about it... I think it is more of a DirectX + GeForce3 issue than the game I had.

--Time for the copy & paste--

I have done a full, complete install of Soul Reaver 2 twice and it will never run! Previous to my latest attempt I made sure that my vid drivers were up to date and that DirectX was up to date.

All I get is a little screen that says my card does not support DirectX. Funny, I just installed DirectX8 and the card is a GeForce3!! Now I can no longer run any benchmarks with 3DMark 2001 because that says a similar error. I am very close to doing a complete reformat, reinstall of Win98SE, and reconfigure of my system. But I just don't have the time right now and I have some projects I need to work on as well.

Any info you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated! How can I completely uninstall DirectX so I can be sure that an install of either DirectX8a or DirectX8.1 is clean and complete?

My machine:
- PIII 866
- 512 PC133 RAM
- Creative Labs PCI 512 - almost time to replace it.. :D
- Gainward GeForce3 Golden Sample w/ 23.11 Dets (no OC cause I did not set it since I reinstalled the vid drivers)
- Win98SE

12_error1.jpg

55_error2.jpg

hmm looks like it. try downloading detonator destroyer from guru3d.com and reinstall your drivers. maybe that should do it.

I did use the det destroyer, rebooted, installed 23.11, made some changes, rebooted, installed DirectX 8.1, rebooted, got annoyed with rebooting, made sure my vid card settings were what i like (color and start up options). And yet nothing requiring DirectX works.

There is no overclocking so that is not a factor.

Any other ideas besides a complete reinstall of Win98SE? Which I want to do for other reasons.

Hi Zeke009

First: I`m sure you can not uninstall Direct X.

Second: Have you tried the Direct X Diagnostic Tool?

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Information/Tools/Direct X Diagnostic Tool.

Run all the tests & see what it comes up with.

Report back & we will go on from there.

Acko

I will do that when I get home tonight.

By the way: Somerset, as in Somerset, Wisconson? Home of the annual drunk fest known as X-Fest?! What a quant little town... until X-Fest rolls around!!

Yes, you CAN uninstall DirectX

There are several apps available that will completely uninstall directx, one of them being DXBuster. I cannot confirm that they work with XP, and the website states that the Win2k uninstall routines are beta. http://www.directxbuster.de/index_e.html

If this doesn;t work, try searching for other DX uninstallers. I've used DXBuster before and it does indeed work.

Considering you've cleanly installed your video driver (several times), I'm willing to bet it's your DX installation. Try the uninstaller and let's hear how well it works.

Good luck...

Re: Yes, you CAN uninstall DirectX

Torch said:
There are several apps available that will completely uninstall directx, one of them being DXBuster. I cannot confirm that they work with XP, and the website states that the Win2k uninstall routines are beta. http://www.directxbuster.de/index_e.html

Worked like a charm!! Thank you for recommending that program. I was unable to find any really useful information about uninstalling DX8 in my limited search last night. Once I used that tool to remove DX8 and reinstalled with DX8a I saw some features that were not available before.

Every program that had an error with DX8 previously works flawlessly now! Thanks again! The program should be in a sticky or something!

Happy to Help

Glad that worked for you! Pass the info along and help someone else ... Peace.

Back