• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fry's - BFG 7900GS OC - $99AR + Tax/Shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thread on 8600gts for 116.50 AR, a smaller rebate I might add, is just like 5 down from this one currently. A 8600gts should be slightly better, and should only get better as drivers mature, then this 7900gs plus you get dx10 with the 8600gts.

BossBorot said:
A 8600gts should be slightly better, and should only get better as drivers mature, then this 7900gs plus you get dx10 with the 8600gts.

These 7900gs' overclock like mad, and will outperform the 8600GTS in many benchmarks. The 128bit memory bus really holds down the video card.

Having DX10 is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially when you have a SLOW card running it. I will be hard pressed to believe that anything lower than a 8800XXX series card will play next gen games nicely. Just look at the benchmarks with a currect DX10 game:

2404677400b57faf.jpg

2404677400b56fbe.jpg

Both deals linked are very nice, but I would get the 7900gs over the 8600 anyday. But I could be just a biased, due to the 7900gs having better performance in COH, lower power draw, and less heat.:)

hmm I heard that the 8600gts actually did better then that but admitedly I havent done much reading on the subject and cant argue with raw numbers. I knew they did bad worse then the 7900gs when they came but but thought they had gotten better with driver revisions oh well. And btw both overclock like mad I got my woot 7900gs up to 600/1800 with almost no effort and these 8600gts cards have been know to overclock a fair amount as well.

Either way, these two cards are great deals!

Bryan d

PS - You should see the the cooler I made for my x800gto2, it brought it up to 612 on the cold days. I bet if I were to do a volt mod...

Yea I had trouble deciding between the 8600 and this card. I figure the 7900GS should hold me over for a while. My Olevia can't do more than 1368x768 anyway. That sucks that the 7900GS can't do more than 28fps at 1280x960. I don't need more than 2-4x AF so hopefully bringing AF down from 16x should help the framerate.

Also, NCIXUS charges me $20 when I go to checkout which would make the card $136AR.

Eventually I would like to upgrade to a 1920x1080 30"+ LCD, at which I'll get whatever badass card is out by that time that'll let me play games at that resolution.

What I'd really like to see is a benchmark comparing a 8600GTS@900+mhz up against a 7900GS@700+mhz.

Last edited:
bryan_d said:

Bryan d

PS - You should see the the cooler I made for my x800gto2, it brought it up to 612 on the cold days. I bet if I were to do a volt mod...

yhpm about this cooler, so I dont further crap all over this tread :(, I will soon have 3 r480 cards and have been itching to mod them but want to keep em cool :).

bryan_d said:

Bryan d

Do you have a thread started on this cooler? If not, how about sharing the info...I'm very interested in seeing what you've done.

Reefa_Madness said:
Do you have a thread started on this cooler? If not, how about sharing the info...I'm very interested in seeing what you've done.
Ditto here... maybe I could help you voltmod... I learned how after I killed 2 of em. :D I killed them in a diff way than the voltmod, but still :D

Don't have a thread but here is a pic:

teaser.jpg

[sorry for the thread jack]

Back on topic,

My accelero s1 just shipped and should be arriving today for my 7900gs!

bryan_d said:
Don't have a thread but here is a pic:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[sorry for the thread jack]

Back on topic,

My accelero s1 just shipped and should be arriving today for my 7900gs!
That looks like fun :)

you're not upgrading from a x800gto2 to a 7900gs are you? it's not much of an upgrade... unless you really badly wanted sm3.0 and that was why.

i scored ~7800pts in 3dmark05 with my overclocked gto2 on one of my older opteron 165s (not even my best). and that was WITHOUT a voltmod.

not trying to make you feel bad, but i'm sure you have a greater purpose :D

^ I did the same thing in moving from a x800gto² to a woot 7900gs. I didnt think that the extra cost was worth it so I sold off my 7900gs for a profit while I could and moved back to my x800gto². After unlocking the x800gto² it becomes about = to a 7600gt and then they overclock like mad just like the 7900gs. Basically in my book the 7900gs upgrade wasnt worth it just for some extra filtering in games. On top of this with all the backstory on the woot 7900gs and their falure rate/no warranty plus the cooler they used on it scared the living daylights out of me for overclocking so now Im back to my trusty x800gto². Just bought my third r480 card I might add as in my book they are the funnest cards to mess around with.

The 7900gs is a great card though. All I guess I am saying in regards to this thread is if you already have a x850/6800 or 7600gt/x1600 this prob isnt worth the cost of upgrading even though its a great deal (just like the 7900gs was last august). Same goes for the 8600gts IMHO as prices will be even lower when dx10 games finnally come out on top of that the 8600gts might not even cut it.

Last edited:
g0dM@n said:
That looks like fun :)

you're not upgrading from a x800gto2 to a 7900gs are you? it's not much of an upgrade... unless you really badly wanted sm3.0 and that was why.

i scored ~7800pts in 3dmark05 with my overclocked gto2 on one of my older opteron 165s (not even my best). and that was WITHOUT a voltmod.

not trying to make you feel bad, but i'm sure you have a greater purpose :D

Already have the 7900GS,

I actually won the gto2 for free, but really wanted to move to see sm3 in games. I also saw that the 7900gs drew less power which is also a plus.

I have read that the gto2 is actually faster in oblivion, but I wonder if it is because of bloom vs hdr?

But to get back on topic, I have read that the bfg 7900gs has the chance of unlocking to a full fledged 7900gt using rivatuner!

Bryan d

ya the bfg cards where unlocking to full pipes (7900gt) but I havent heard anyone really talk about this topic for awhile now so they may have changed to unlockable cores since who knows.

Oh ya I was wondering how my x800gto² was able to play oblivion at 1920x1200, without some advanced options on but it still looked good, when I tryed it on the GDM-FW900 that I just got. Also I got my first x800gto² from a contest as well :)

well im not too sure which card to get now. i was leaning towards the 7900gs for $100 or the 8600gts for the $120 or maybe get a 7950gt for around $150.

im running a samsung 22"ws. have a 6800gt agp running it right now with no real problems that i can tell.

which card should i get? i do game alot and aa,af isnt that important to me. have never used it. bf2,2142 QW, flatout2 will be getting crysis when it comes out.

rabiddawgs said:
well im not too sure which card to get now. i was leaning towards the 7900gs for $100 or the 8600gts for the $120 or maybe get a 7950gt for around $150.

im running a samsung 22"ws. have a 6800gt agp running it right now with no real problems that i can tell.

which card should i get? i do game alot and aa,af isnt that important to me. have never used it. bf2,2142 QW, flatout2 will be getting crysis when it comes out.

I'm extremely skepticle about the Candian website's 8600GTS scores. The 8600 has been shown to outclock a 7900GT. When you look at those scores you have to consider 1. Which Processor was being used 2. Which operating system was being used 3. Which drivers were being used.

The initial drivers for the 8600/8500 series were crap. The newer drivers have it outperforming a 7900GT. And while DX10 might not mean anything to you now, it might three months from now when Bioshock, Crysis, and Unreal Tournament come out.

rainless said:
I'm extremely skepticle about the Candian website's 8600GTS scores. The 8600 has been shown to outclock a 7900GT. When you look at those scores you have to consider 1. Which Processor was being used 2. Which operating system was being used 3. Which drivers were being used.

The initial drivers for the 8600/8500 series were crap. The newer drivers have it outperforming a 7900GT. And while DX10 might not mean anything to you now, it might three months from now when Bioshock, Crysis, and Unreal Tournament come out.

i also meant to say that i think it will be atleast 6 months or so at the earliest before i upgreade to vista. first service pack has to come out first.
xp is just running to good for me to upgrade os's.

i do plan to upgrade vid cards again in about a year or so. i want to see how the 8 series handles the games when they come out. we are not even sure that the 8800 will be able to handle crysis and all yet.

how would the 8600gts compare to the 7950gt 256mb card.

thanks for the reply

rabiddawgs said:

If you are happy now, then why upgrade? You said it yourself that you are waiting on Crysis right? I am waiting on Fallout 3 and Crysis too, and will only buy a new card (or maybe a whole system) when the games do come out.

Buying an 8600** would not be wise for Crysis if you are used to using a fast card for that cards generation.

Patience is a virtue, and hopefully I have it too!

bryan d

Back