• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built a rig from scratch in 2mins (time lapse video)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trentdk

I've been a lurker here for awhile... thought some might get a giggle from this video.

I built a budget gaming rig this past weekend and decided to video tape the process, and have it play back at 27x (1.5hr build to 2.5mins)

http://www.ubrgk.com/ubrgk00001.php

The first vid is the time lapse video. (the vids at the bottom are it playing games).

My leg was grounded, don't need a static band :p (everyone brings it up, lol)

The case, its so great, lol. Normally I go all out, you know... no spared expense, but I challenged myself to keep the cost as low as possible.

The case is a linkworld, microATX case. Cost $30. Turned out to be a pretty good case. Interesting build though, took 15mins to get the video card secured correctly in their weird expansion card holder (you may notice it in the vid).

Once everything in that lil case is solid and keeps thing very cool.

Cool ! You put it up on youtube yet?

What video software you use for that ?

I filmed that with a DV cam (panasonic gs500) and always use Sony Vegas for editing (great program, easy to use/learn, and very powerful).

There are two ways to do time lapse videos:
- Have the camera only take a frame every x seconds, and then play it back at normal speed (about 30 fps)
- Have the camera record at its normal fps, and increase the velocity / fast forward the footage in post.

I chose to do the later because it allows more options later (slow downs and stuff). Also, when you speed up normal video, you can get a cool motion blur, instead of just choppy movement from the first time lapse option.

The only con to using Vegas for this is that vegas can only speed up video by 300%. So I have to increase it by 300% (3x), render, and do the same thing again two more times.

I used google video (so much easier to upload to... no file size limit). I'll eventually get it on youtube, (though.. it might already be there? google video and youtube are melting together more and more everyday)

trentdk said:
I filmed that with a DV cam (panasonic gs500) and always use Sony Vegas for editing (great program, easy to use/learn, and very powerful).

There are two ways to do time lapse videos:
- Have the camera only take a frame every x seconds, and then play it back at normal speed (about 30 fps)
- Have the camera record at its normal fps, and increase the velocity / fast forward the footage in post.

I chose to do the later because it allows more options later (slow downs and stuff). Also, when you speed up normal video, you can get a cool motion blur, instead of just choppy movement from the first time lapse option.

The only con to using Vegas for this is that vegas can only speed up video by 300%. So I have to increase it by 300% (3x), render, and do the same thing again two more times.

I used google video (so much easier to upload to... no file size limit). I'll eventually get it on youtube, (though.. it might already be there? google video and youtube are melting together more and more everyday)

Sweet man! I will have to give that program a try I have a Sony handycam.

People would pay to see me if I made a video of me building my rig last night. It took me about an hour to get the HSF on the 3600+. Problem was my case is so small I had to do it with the PSU in there and I had no room to get the clip on.

Your vid is awesome.

EmAn: The mobo does not support sli, nor does the PSU.

lol, ya awhile back I would have been on the floor doing that, with boxes and screws all over the place, but I've learned that being organized makes it so much more enjoyable :) (and I have a feeling i'm becoming OCD, everything has to be neat!!!! lol)

Thanks for the comments :D

Back