• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5b and Intel Celeron 420 no post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I got my celeron 420, Asus p5b. No boot. I tried two different power supplies, two ram brands, twinmos, and buffalo. Two video cards. The cpu fan starts to spin, then stops, spins again, stops. I noticed that fan in the power supply, spins up and down as well.
Thanks

Last edited:
He needs a BIOS update in order for the board to support this CPU, but he can't flash without the PC, so he has to borrow an older CPU for the sole purpose of flashing to the new BIOS. After that, his board should work.

I have 630 on the way. I hope everything will work fine, after bios flash.
Thanks

elec999 said:
I have 630 on the way. I hope everything will work fine, after bios flash.
Thanks

Put the flash (.ROM) file on a USB flash drive and use EZ Flash within the BIOS to flash, it's the safest way to flash. Other ways to flash are from within Windows (AsusUpdate) and DOS (AFUDOS), but those aren't considered as safe as EZ Flash is. Good luck!

Update, got a 630. Updated to bios 1405, now the celeron 420 boots fine too. Asus ezflash was the easiest bios update using my usb drive.
One last problem, bios wont see 4gb of ram, only sees 3g, even tho the Asus manual says this board supports upto 8gb.
Thanks

Heidfirst said:
that's probably an addressing issue - does that mobo BIOS have a memory remap feature?
or you have a faulty DIMM/slot.
What would the memory remapp be called, or be under.
Thanks

Back