• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset Heatsink removed... need opinions!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treatmentx

ALL owners of the ASUS 6xx series... the P5N32-E (Plus/SLI/whatever), Asus Striker, Commando, etc

Has anyone removed their chipset heatsink before?

What I did was removed the chipset, removed the fumbly "white conductive tape" that sits between the chipset cooler and the MOSFET/Voltage regulator area... and put in AS5 instead. Then I added the 2 optional ASUS fans.

All dandy... cleaned up my work area, threw everything in the trash...

I picked up my motherboard, now I notice there's a small GAP between the MOSFET/Voltage regulators!!! Should I worry? It's BARELY touching... any ideas? I want to assume I don't have to worry, but I need opinions... experiences from people... experts... anything! Have not turned the system on yet....

treatmentx said:
ALL owners of the ASUS 6xx series... the P5N32-E (Plus/SLI/whatever), Asus Striker, Commando, etc

Has anyone removed their chipset heatsink before?

What I did was removed the chipset, removed the fumbly "white conductive tape" that sits between the chipset cooler and the MOSFET/Voltage regulator area... and put in AS5 instead. Then I added the 2 optional ASUS fans.

All dandy... cleaned up my work area, threw everything in the trash...

I picked up my motherboard, now I notice there's a small GAP between the MOSFET/Voltage regulators!!! Should I worry? It's BARELY touching... any ideas? I want to assume I don't have to worry, but I need opinions... experiences from people... experts... anything! Have not turned the system on yet....
Well, if it is not touching, then the heatsink is worthless :beer:

I would be worried, it sounds like the stuff that was on there previously was thicker and closed that gap. I would go to a local hardware store and just make your own mounting system (use a bolt and nuts).

But it's just the voltage regulators/MOSFET?

If people watercooled their 6xx series chipset, the chipset doesn't even touch the voltage regs./MOSFETs... essentially theyr'e not even cooled... which is why I want to assume it's safe... but.... ??? the HSF is the passive cooling fins...

Better get some sort of heatsink back on the chips before running it. As was said earlier, was there for a reason. ;)

if you can fit a penny between the gaps do so if you need a ghetto fix. The penny can transfer heat to the sinks. Its hard to tell without pics though. If nothing works you could heat up the heatpipe and bend it away from the mosfets, not to much or you might breat the pipe or render it useless for additional nb cooling just bend it so the mosfets are exposed, and then put new sinks on the mosfets. However this is very dangerous if you just want to get it working again order some new thermal tape.

In case anyone looks for this thread in the future...

I had the P5N32E-SLI. I removed the chipset heatsink, north and south bridge.

I removed the thermal tape, AS5'd everything, reseated, but the MOSFET/Voltage regulators were ever so slightly not as pressed prior to removal.

I added the ASUS optional fans for both north and south.

My temps prior to removal - 46-48C.
My temps after, even with the MOSFET/Voltage slightly off'd - 39C.

As a side note, when I placed the motherboard back in, I screwed the MB to the case extra tight, and i pressed hard on the optional fans, to make as much contact with the voltage/mosfets as I could.

In other words, everything's working great!

Last edited:
Back