• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install a PSU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
First time homebuild, waiting on the parts in my sig to show up.

When I install the PSU into the case and get all the other parts in as well, is it simply a matter of plugging the PSU to the mb and other components?

I am sure there are instructions coming with the Corsair 520HX (which I hope is a good PSU a lot of people recommended it), but I just thought I ask beforehand.

Are there BIOS settings too?

Use your hands and not your toes.
Wear protective rubber gloves and goggles.
Keep all pets and kids at the distance of least 100 yards.
Tell your wife to get you a 24 pack and then she needs to stay at her mothers for the rest of the week.

The rest is easy.

UglyChild said:
Use your hands and not your toes.
Wear protective rubber gloves and goggles.
Keep all pets and kids at the distance of least 100 yards.
Tell your wife to get you a 24 pack and then she needs to stay at her mothers for the rest of the week.

The rest is easy.

I cuncur! :thup:

I usually put the PSU in the case first. This is totally up to you, but I find it the easiest later on. Other than that, just plug the appropriate connectors in, flick the switch in the back and press the power button. :)

Edited for spelling...

Last edited:
I put the PSU in the case first as well as the hard drive and cd roms... Because what if the aftermarket cpu heatsink gets crushed while installing the power unit.

And that corsair is will have modular wires which needs to be connected (not all of them)

-E6420 + Thermalright 120 Extreme & Scythe S-Flex F fan
-GA-P35-DS3R - WILL REQUIRE THAT 8 PIN CABLE ALREADY INSTALLED ON PSU
-4 gigs Crucial Ballistix DDR2 6400 (2 2x1gb kits)
-Evga GTS 8800 640 - REQUIRES THAT 550mm 6 PIN CABLE THAT IN WHICH IT PLUGS INTO THE PSU
-320gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - REQUIRES THAT FLAT ODD LOOKING 800MM SATA CABLE, MAKE SURE IT ALIGNS WELL WITH THE HDD AND DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH FORCE IT COULD BUST THE CABLE PLUG IN LIKE MINES DID WHILE INSTALLING A FAN
-Corsair 520HX
-Antec 900
-Vista 64-bit OEM
-Samsung 18X DVD burner - REQUIRES THAT 800MM 4-PIN CONNECTER WHICH ALSO NEEDS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE PSU
-Samsung 19" LCD (906BW) <- already own - REQUIRES THAT 800MM 4-PIN CONNECTER WHICH ALSO NEEDS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE PSU
-AS5 & remover/surfacer

sorry if I am making u look nubish lol but its easy and I am sure you will quickly figure it out once its out of the box but make sure you install it first thing.. And nice setup I have the same case and power supply...

Mathersalan said:
-Samsung 19" LCD (906BW) <- already own - REQUIRES THAT 800MM 4-PIN CONNECTER WHICH ALSO NEEDS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE PSU
LOL, first time i have ever heard of a monitor being connected to the computers PSU

Gee things are that simple huh. Man I shoulda started building them lonnnng ago!

Morvak said:
Gee things are that simple huh. Man I shoulda started building them lonnnng ago!

Don't worry you'll do fine. Your MB will have a manual for installing it and the CPU & HSF. All the wires for PWR, Reset etc... on your case are labaled. It's fairly easy to figure out what plugs go where on your MB and what plugs go with what from your PSU. There are plenty of "how to's" online. Even videos on youtube! Just don't forget your anti-static strap. Take it slow, enjoy the moments.

And of course there's OCF if you get stuck :D

LOL

I only received 1 out of 4 boxes so far! The other 3 (2 from CA and 1 from TN) should arrive tomorrow via UPS from Philly.

Then I'm visiting the folks this weekend, so I won't be doing jack til Monday (but I have next week off so :) )

Personally, I might recommend building the computer outside the case. Just be careful with static electricity (clean wooden desk top is fine) and stray pets and fingers. It is much easier to trouble shoot in this fashion. Just enough to 1) determine which cables from the corsair you'll need 2) be able to load up the bios and detect all your hardware.

Then I go ahead and move everything into the case.

navig

simple tips: square peg square hole, round peg round hole. Really only 3 basic things go round the computer: 1) electricity 2) data 3) heat.

Navig said:
Personally, I might recommend building the computer outside the case. Just be careful with static electricity (clean wooden desk top is fine) and stray pets and fingers. It is much easier to trouble shoot in this fashion. Just enough to 1) determine which cables from the corsair you'll need 2) be able to load up the bios and detect all your hardware.

Then I go ahead and move everything into the case.
Nah I think that takes way too much time. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine. Just remember to ALWAYS ground yourself.

When I build, I usually like to build it outside the case as well putting in the major components (CPU, mobo), then adding the components one by one as I go, RAM, then VGA, then HD, then sound card. I like being able to swap things out and have a ton of room.

Go slow, it's not a race. It's your first one.

Back