• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick fix for error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

I jut got a computer reimaged, and when i go to my computer some weird things happen.

1. when i click on Local Disc (C:) it pops up asking me what application i want to use to open the file. how do i change that?

2. when i click on My Book (F:) (my external) it gives me a message F: is not a valid win32 application. How do i fix that? I can right click and say explore and it works fine, but when i clidk it i get that message.

thanks in advance

Search the root of both the C:\ and F:\ drives for an autorun.inf file, delete any instances of it and then reboot.

Make sure you've enabled Windows to show all files (My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | 'View' tab | 'Show hidden files and folders').

when i do that, the hidden files do not show up. for example, ill change that, then hit apply, ok, and then when i go back in to folder options, it is back on the radio button saying do not show.

any idea for that?

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch in the registry...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Advanced

Highlight the Advanced key in the LH pane, and check to make sure the Hidden DWORD in the RH pane shows a value of 1. If it's set to any value other than 1, right click the Hidden DWORD and select Modify. In the 'Edit DWORD Value' dialog that opens, make sure 1 shows in the Value data field, and click OK. You can then exit the registry editor.

Once done, go to the Task Manager and end process on Explerer.exe. With the Task Manager still open, go to File-->New Task and type in Explorer.exe

After performing the above, try again to view hidden files and folders in Exlorer.

it still changes back to do not show. and also, the DWORD value changes from 1 back to 2. i dont know whats going on - any more ideas?

I've included a *.txt file for you to download. Once downloaded, rename it with a *.reg extension, then double-click it to merge the contents into your registry. If you'd like to view the contents before merging, right-click the file and select Edit. The registry edit will enable Hidden Files, and reset the Folder option values to their defaults.

Attachments

• Hidden_+_SuperHidden.txt
    4 KB · Views: 272
Back