• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opty 170 or 175?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

I'm about to pull the trigger. Please help me decide.

My reasons for wanting the 175: My vanilla A8N-SLI tops out at about 295 HTT, with a practical upper limit of 290. This means that if I get an Opty170, even with a good stepping, I'll be limited to "only" 2.9 ghz. However, if I get a good 175, I might be able to hit 3.0 with a 273 HTT. Additionally, my Adata Vitesta RAM is pretty much at its limit on a 333mhz divider. If I go with the 170, then I'll have to ramp up the HTT to the point that my RAM will start flaking out, meaning I'll have to run it on an even lower divider.

The 170, on the other hand, is a few clams cheaper and it carries a better chance of winning the stepping lottery. Would I be better off with the 170?

I'm placing the order in a few hours.

I just upgraded from a SD3700 to this opty 170. I haven't overclocked it yet but the LCB9E stepping from newegg are proving to be good overclockers.

My Opty 170 that I've had going on 2 years (October) has been a great OC'er

It runs stable at 2.5 Ghz with air cooling, and I've had it up to 2.7 , but temps were to high for my liking.

Not sure what you did buy, but no doubt you will be pleased :)

If you can land an LCB9E, go for it. Kick *** chip. If you can keep it cool, it will wipe the floor with any 175 and its fat momma.

I have had good luck with this Opty 185. I haven't really pushed it yet but it seems like it has a bit more in it.

I love my Pwnteron (CCBBE 0610DPMW stepping). Rocks the boat at 3050MHz tho my mobo runs at 305fsb and I got some good ram.

I'm jumping ship to Intel next month tho so look out for the Pwnteron in the Classy's!

Goonda said:
If you can land an LCB9E, go for it. Kick *** chip. If you can keep it cool, it will wipe the floor with any 175 and its fat momma.

That's what I went with, I have an LCB9E sitting on my desk and some 300+ capable TCCD. Can't wait to finish the new case and let these rip.

With good ram/board I couldn't justify the extra multi on the 175. Opty's are pretty top-level binned to begin with, so thats all I would be getting is an extra multi to make up for lackluster ram or board.

Back