• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 or GA-P35-DS3P?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burner127

I am torn between the GA-P35-DQ6 and GA-P35-DS3P and i was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me to help me decide.

I do not OC and never will but i currently use aftermarket cooling (Thermaright XP90c) because the room my PC is in gets warm sometimes (80F +) My case has good airflow (Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570)

If I buy the DQ6, I can't use my XP90c because the crazy cool heatsink on the backside of the mobo prevents me from using the backplate for the XP90c. Yes i know you can remove the backplate, but I am someone who believes that things were put on mobos for a reason and should be left there. This would force me to use the stock HSF that came with my e6600 which I have not ever used. Is this cooling sufficient since I won't be OCing? I mean Intel included it so it should be fine right?

If I buy the DS3P, I can use the XP90c but the extra cooling on the MOSFETs isn't there and I was wondering how much of an effect it would have on the lifespan of the board?

I was looking at the other aspects between the two and other than the exotic cooling, you get 2 more eSATA ports and the "QuadBios" vs "DualBIOS +"

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Cooler Removable

From Newegg reviewer:
"Update on coolers - the rear copper cooler can be removed so you can even use easy coolers that have a backplate. Further, the Scythe Ninja is practically made for the motherboard. It has no backplate, so the huge copper Gigabyte backplate can remain in place. It clears just fine (1/16th of an inch at closest). And it supports huge overclocking for me to 3.55GHz+. If anyone complains about room for a fancy cooler, it's because they didn't get the Ninja, or it's because they didn't get watercooling."

HTH

boondocker said:
From Newegg reviewer:
"Update on coolers - the rear copper cooler can be removed so you can even use easy coolers that have a backplate. Further, the Scythe Ninja is practically made for the motherboard. It has no backplate, so the huge copper Gigabyte backplate can remain in place. It clears just fine (1/16th of an inch at closest). And it supports huge overclocking for me to 3.55GHz+. If anyone complains about room for a fancy cooler, it's because they didn't get the Ninja, or it's because they didn't get watercooling."

HTH

I read that but I don't want to get a new cooler for my CPU nor do i want to remove the rear HS.

My concern is heat if I am not going to be overclocking.

Ur fine. The board runs without the those mofset heatsinks just fine.

The only reason you'd need the extra cooling is for pushing OC's, if ur not going to do that, you don't even need a fan on the NB chip.

No need for concern for you.

You do.

Fan on a NB is a good idea even when your not overclocking,

My gigabyte runs at 70c Idon't know if it's just this chipset or what.

My 1p

You don't need to use the backplate, the xp90 aluminum isn't very heavy and you can just use some washers to support the weight. Heck, my xp120 is hanging from some little plastic push pins, so screws and washers are infinitely stronger on a smaller HS.

NB needs a fan for sure, 40mm low speed is fine.

Get a set of small heat sinks and add those to the mofets if you like the cool. Your xp90 will blow lots of air on them anyway.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/michcokit.html

or better yet there is a guy here that sells some nice heatsinks...I wish I could remember his name. :bang head

I own a Gigabyte P35 board, my office is on the thrid floor of a temprate house so my office is always really hot, I have my PC OC'd, I have no fan on my NB and stick-on mofset heatsinks that were like 35 cents. Nothing on my board is above luke warm to the touch.

Sense you don't plan to OC at all, heat will not be an issue for you, unless you want the extra eSATA ports, get the less expensive board.

Back