• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for all you WC'd people

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

Last edited:
I'd stay away from Koolance gear. Water cooling in general isn't great for a system that will get carted around a lot, but a carefully built system can withstand it. Keep in mind that moving the PC around makes the likely hood of leaks much higher as t line or resivoir caps tend not to be as well designed as the rest of the system, and you'll also be shuffling the air around and need to bleed the system off if its jostled around a lot. I know Swiftechs MCRES has an o ring on the fill port which should make it leak proof.

Personally, for LANing, WCing is more of a hassle than a help IMHO... But I know how hot those LANs can get :eek:

I will probably be the first to give this idea, but I think for a moving system, I'd go with one of the Coolit's Eliminator or Freezone... it's a little different from traditional watercooling, but I think I'd consider that over traditional WC because WC needs a pump, a rad, a T-line/Reservoir and the more connections you have the more risk of leaks... esp if you're moving around. The Coolit's are manufacterer sealed.. if it leaks I think they have some kind of gurantee/warranty/deal... I dunno how many would give that advice, but that's my take on it after my Air-->Water experience.

Personally I would never take a WCed machine to a LANfest.. I built a smaller more mobile machine for that purpose.

I have taking my sytem to a lan before , and never had a problem but to would be much to much hassle for me right now as it would involve putting it in a case .

DSCF1736.jpg

I take mine to lan parties pretty frequently usually around 6 to 8 per year and its held up rather nicely too, but I also took my time and building my loop and make sure not to bump it around too much while moving it. But its still a huge worry about what would I do if my loop failed while at a lan. I have been considering building up a small rig to take to lans.

I lugged my H20 rigs to LANs with no problems. I mean I'm not going to say the risks aren't there, they are, but if you're careful and pay attention to what you're doing, it should'nt be a problem. Hell i even transported my Phase cooled rig to a LAN. Tho that was more work as lifting the behemoth into the truck almost killed the family jewels ( LOL !!) , but no sweat. It had wheels ( as most of my computer tanks do ;) ) so just the lifting is where the muscle comes in.

I'm no puny guy (6'1" 190lbs) so it really isn't a big deal. You just have to be more careful as how you transport your pc. This includes not letting your friends carry it or strap it down into the vehicle. One of your friends doing you a favor or helping you out drops it, or any freak accident happens ( which it does from time to time) and then you're ready to kill him.

One thing I learned was when it comes to transporting my rigs to LANs, i take full and sole responsibility if anything should happen, thus is why I carry my own stuff. If i drop it i can't blame anyone. Of course the ppl i do allow to help me are responsible and if anything should happen i know they'll be good for it :)

This applies to both air cooled rigs and H20 ones. Just pay attention to what you're doing, take precautions and triple check evrything before/during and after the transport.

Nebulous said:
I lugged my H20 rigs to LANs with no problems. I mean I'm not going to say the risks aren't there, they are, but if you're careful and pay attention to what you're doing, it should'nt be a problem. Hell i even transported my Phase cooled rig to a LAN. Tho that was more work as lifting the behemoth into the truck almost killed the family jewels ( LOL !!) , but no sweat. It had wheels ( as most of my computer tanks do ;) ) so just the lifting is where the muscle comes in.

I'm no puny guy (6'1" 190lbs) so it really isn't a big deal. You just have to be more careful as how you transport your pc. This includes not letting your friends carry it or strap it down into the vehicle. One of your friends doing you a favor or helping you out drops it, or any freak accident happens ( which it does from time to time) and then you're ready to kill him.

One thing I learned was when it comes to transporting my rigs to LANs, i take full and sole responsibility if anything should happen, thus is why I carry my own stuff. If i drop it i can't blame anyone. Of course the ppl i do allow to help me are responsible and if anything should happen i know they'll be good for it :)

This applies to both air cooled rigs and H20 ones. Just pay attention to what you're doing, take precautions and triple check evrything before/during and after the transport.

AGREED! I am the same way with everything that has to do with LAN transport

Well, I guess considering. I took my computer to and from school/home a lot while it is WCed... Which is kinda similiar to LANs. I have never had an issue.

Last edited:
What is comes down to in the end is: did you use worm gear clamps or not. Many people seem to use those flimsy plastic snaps or even zip ties, but if you are moving it around frequently, I think worm gear clamps are a must. My current rig hasn't been flushed or touched in a year and a half, and its rode backseat for 2 or 3 900 mile trips in that time.

I dont worry to much about it honestly. A little bubble here or there doesnt hurt anything. the worst i get from it is 1C higher and my watercooling is already stupid overkill for the rig it cools.
I usually try to stick my T top rested on the side panel if i can so that even if its side down, the t faces up but i also fill that T up to the brim so the biggest bubble in there is like... a cm of air.
The pump usually chews that little thing up realy quick and and im running clear again in minutes.
If watercooling is built well, its treats you well. idealy, you should be ale to trust your loop for 24/7 unsupervised operation. if not.. you shouldnt be in it.

Back