• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up Matrix Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brint

Classic Senior Dude
Hey fellow overclockers. I have recently bought a motheboard, the Abit IP35-Pro. This board has the intel ICH9 SATA chip, which allows matrix raid. My question is, can I stripe two disks in a Raid 0 configuration to make one big drive, and then later split this big partition into two smaller ons, where I can select which of the now two partitions is to be the fastest one? Or do I have to make two raid 0 arrays in the Intel Matrix BIOS, where I later can select which drive I want to be the faster one?

Best regards brint.

The first array or partition made is always the "fastest" since creation of these starts from the outside of the disk inward. You won't be able to split an array once it's created without having to recreate to new ones. You can make a smaller array now and leave unallocated disk space for another in the future. If you had one big array and wanted to partition it, you could use a program like Partition Magic and create another with unused space on the array.

tuskenraider said:
The first array or partition made is always the "fastest" since creation of these starts from the outside of the disk inward. You won't be able to split an array once it's created without having to recreate to new ones. You can make a smaller array now and leave unallocated disk space for another in the future. If you had one big array and wanted to partition it, you could use a program like Partition Magic and create another with unused space on the array.

Okay, I thought that the Matrix technology made some conning stunts to optimize the given arrys. But if the partitions always are created from the outer rings and indwoard, then I will just create the partition I want to be the fastest first, followed by the second slower partition. The plan is to make a fast partition for which I will install vista and the second part of the array will be for game installation.

I thought the idea with Matrix Raid was to put O/S, Apps, games on the Raid 0 partition. Then put everything else (docs, music, etc) on the Raid 1 or Raid 5 partition.

brint said:
Okay, I thought that the Matrix technology made some conning stunts to optimize the given arrys. But if the partitions always are created from the outer rings and indwoard, then I will just create the partition I want to be the fastest first, followed by the second slower partition. The plan is to make a fast partition for which I will install vista and the second part of the array will be for game installation.
Matrix technology was created to allow two types of arrays(0,1) to exist on only two hard drives. Typically one of each. Or add a third drive for RAID5 use as well. The "make a small RAID0 first" benchmark hype that exists in this forum seems to confuse the situation. Also, there is no reason to separate the OS from your games and apps as their is no performance benefit by causing the drive to seek back and forth between partitions to access files. Keeping data and OS/apps/games separate makes imaging and fresh installs easier though.

tuskenraider said:
Matrix technology was created to allow two types of arrays(0,1) to exist on only two hard drives. Typically one of each. Or add a third drive for RAID5 use as well. The "make a small RAID0 first" benchmark hype that exists in this forum seems to confuse the situation. Also, there is no reason to separate the OS from your games and apps as their is no performance benefit by causing the drive to seek back and forth between partitions to access files. Keeping data and OS/apps/games separate makes imaging and fresh installs easier though.

It seams that I was under this confusion as well. In dead I thought that the intel matrix technology would make sure that the outer rings of the partition would be used first. But if this is a normal phenomenon, then the matrix technology's true advantage lies with the capability of creating more then one raid array on just two drives. In my case, I will settle for a plain raid 0 configuration, with one partition for my OS and one for my games. For the reason that you stated your self, it is easier to make images of the OS partition and personally I like when different data have their separate places :)
Thanks for clearing this matrix ordeal for me, I feel much more prepared for this the next step in the process of completing the instillation of my new system.

brint said:
It seams that I was under this confusion as well. In dead I thought that the intel matrix technology would make sure that the outer rings of the partition would be used first. But if this is a normal phenomenon, then the matrix technology's true advantage lies with the capability of creating more then one raid array on just two drives. In my case, I will settle for a plain raid 0 configuration, with one partition for my OS and one for my games. For the reason that you stated your self, it is easier to make images of the OS partition and personally I like when different data have their separate places :)
Thanks for clearing this matrix ordeal for me, I feel much more prepared for this the next step in the process of completing the instillation of my new system.
No problem, seems there's a lot of misunderstanding in a few threads recently. Let me reiterate that separating your games from the OS isn't ideal because of the increase in seeking it will cause. Most people want their OS and programs together when imaging since many times fresh program/game installs would be required with a fresh OS install anyway. Having them separated would/could require to separate backups, which I think most wouldn't find efficient. If you have your personal reasons for doing so, then all I can say is it's your PC do with as you wish.

Back