• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad - 2 dies on 1 chip or 1 die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jason4207

As far as I know the quad is still 2 dies in 1 package. Does anyone know when they are planning to make it 1 die? Will a new pin layout be required?

Just curious. I too am contemplating the Q6600 vs. the E6750 on 7/22, and think I might stick with the cheaper E6750 and wait for the quads to be 1 die.

I dont understand why everyone is always so caught up on the x's and o's and marketing propaganda ... FSB this, native that... In the end all that matters is the bottom line and that is how well does it perform against the competition.

no peryn will still be lga775 but some boards wont support it. others just need a bios update. G3x,P35,X38 will just need a bios update. its going to be a single die on the 45nm process.

Who CARES if its one die, as AMD is deftly proving, at this point in the game all a single die quad core does is substantially handicap yields. With nasty low yields comes nasty low speeds, which gives up what little advantage native quad ever had. Intel is binning the best of the best dual cores and gluing them together.

Big Mike said:
Who CARES if its one die, as AMD is deftly proving, at this point in the game all a single die quad core does is substantially handicap yields. With nasty low yields comes nasty low speeds, which gives up what little advantage native quad ever had. Intel is binning the best of the best dual cores and gluing them together.

And this is why we all study object-oriented programming and encapsulation! So the registers won't have to be slowly sent over!

I've posted this before but here goes...
Penryn quads won't be single die, that will first come from Intel with Nehalem. Penryn is a tweak of C2D and a rollout of the 45nm process cahnging to single die quads would be another potential stumbling block. Not to mentoin that in terms of production two dual cores makes a lot more sense, it means there is only one die for all 4MB cache C2Ds, whether packaged as quad and dual. This info was confirmed when Intel released info about upcoming processors in March.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12127 just about every hardware review site posted this stuff.

Back