• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix VS. G.Skills

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigabyteME

It seems they have a lot of competition against eachother. Both include the D9's.

For all the G. skill and Crucial users, why did you go with that kind of RAM module and nothing else? What is better to you?

I went with the ballistix in the 8500 flavor. I went with these because they were the cheapest 1066's with D9's that I could find. The $20 premium over the 6400's was well worth it to me. I wanted to have 1066 at 2.2V's garunteed. But chances are that either one of them will overclock to pretty much the same amount. The ballistix are supposed to be higher binned than the G.Skills but they both seem to do pretty well.

Yeah both are great kits but I agree the Crucials do seem to be a bit better quality D9s. Probably because they are a division of Micron so they get all the good stuff first.

ou_phidelt said:
I went with the ballistix in the 8500 flavor. I went with these because they were the cheapest 1066's with D9's that I could find. The $20 premium over the 6400's was well worth it to me. I wanted to have 1066 at 2.2V's garunteed. But chances are that either one of them will overclock to pretty much the same amount. The ballistix are supposed to be higher binned than the G.Skills but they both seem to do pretty well.

Yeah the 8500 Ballistix are nice. But is there that much of a difference between those 8500's and G. Skill 6400's? And Crucial first introduced the D9's didnt they? Its such a hard pick between the two. :bang head

inkfx said:
Yeah both are great kits but I agree the Crucials do seem to be a bit better quality D9s. Probably because they are a division of Micron so they get all the good stuff first.

You probably right on that one.

I bought Crucial pc6400 Ballistixs from newegg, the ones that come with $45 rebate. According to cpuz they have preprogramed timing tables for pc6400 and pc8000. I ran few tests already, stable at PC8000 4-4-4-12 with 2.2v and pc6400 4-4-4-12 2.0v

cm.jpg

I'm glad i bought 2 sticks of crucial with the $45 mir, got it in the mail today. Can't test them cause i don't have the rest of my system but i hope they give great performance like others have described.

RockyC2D said:
I'm glad i bought 2 sticks of crucial with the $45 mir, got it in the mail today. Can't test them cause i don't have the rest of my system but i hope they give great performance like others have described.

Yeah you deff. got a deal. What are you planning on running? System wise.

Both are good rams, both have micron chips but i find G.Skill better to OC, but thats just me :p

Haha yeah, I heard they both OC like a dream. What other RAM modules have the D9 chips? Doesnt the Mushkin Redlines?

Im so glad I got these sticks couldnt be happier. 500+ @ 4-4-4-12 . I got them for 149 CND and I have been very pleased with them .

I got the g.skills instead of the ballistix because I don't generally go for mail in rebates.

They run 4-4-3-5 / ddr804 at 2.1volts, and they did 4-4-4-12 /ddr1006 at the same voltage. They were prety warm to the touch at that speed, so I slowed them down as I am saving up for a whole new case/cooling setup. Then I'll see how far they can go.

Thats still pretty good time, So these things can handle an oversclock pretty easy, if you have the right cooling setup?

Micron d9s all the way :) And you may not need any special cooling. Plenty of people due without, but my case is a bit stifling. (I ripped most of the fans out as the were WAY too loud.)

Back