• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shan

Hi,
I am trying to keep it below $500. Here's what I am trying to get. I prefer to Core 2 Duo. But I couldn't get the build below $500. See if you could help me out. I have two monitors already. So that I need a dual-DVI card. I was thinking about getting a 8600GT that's $100 after rebate. I do game a little bit. Mainly CS 1.6 and Warcraft 3. What you guys think about the mobo? I have never had a biostar before.

1 SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - $126.99
1 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $129.99
1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $53.99
1 Intel Dual-Core E2140 Allendale 1.6GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E2140 - $81.00
1 COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $49.99
1 FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply - $57.99
1 Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $114.99

Subtotal: $614.94
Shipping: $17.34
Total: $632.28 - $65 rebates = $567.28

Last edited:
Get a Core 2 Duo E2140 or 2160, or at the very least, get a better AMD chip. That 3600+ isn't worth $65 for a new chip. I think my 1 and a half year old Opteron at stock speed could beat it (if it wasn't for the newer CPUs using DDR2). Also, get some cheaper RAM. The Ballistix name isn't worth the extra premium you have to pay. Get some OCZ, Mushkin, or G.Skill sticks and they'll end up being under $100 before rebate. Also, I'd recommend an 8600GT over a 7900GS due to DirectX 10 support, plus you're kind of strapped for cash and the 8600 is cheaper. That's a good case and PSU, though, and Biostar is a decent motherboard manufacturer.

Last edited:
Thanks, soichiro. The ballistix is $70 after rebates, that's cheaper than the others after the rebate. What do you think about x1950? it's $106 after rebate. and 8600gt is $100 after rebate. Also, what mobo do you suggest to get with e2140?

build Updated.

well if he plays dx9 games the 8600gt's are 25-30% slower then 7600gt's. though this could be mainly a driver issue but i dont think drivers could squash that margin any lower. the new cats for that ati from i have seen are doing great. that ati card would be along the lines of a 7950gt/7900gtx.

*edit*
had to reread the OP's post, dunno why my mind wondered off. since you mainly playing wc3,css then stick with the ati card, dont bother with the 8600. really if you went with the 8x00, the one to get would be the 8800 320mb or 640mb cards.

I don't mind to get a better mobo. I guess I'll swap the HD to a cheaper one. So that I can have $30 room to get a better mobo.
what you recommend? Do you think I can oc this CPU? if so, how far can I oc it? What's the difference between this dual-core and core 2 duo?
Thanks Evil, switch back to the ATI card.

Updated.

Last edited:
shan said:
I don't mind to get a better mobo. I guess I'll swap the HD to a cheaper one. So that I can have $30 room to get a better mobo.
what you recommend?

Updated.
ok well since you now plan to go with C2D and your going to oc a bit. drop down to the E2140 since both will oc to about the same cpu speed. give or a take 100-200 mhz, this difference would be seen in either model cpu. really though i suggest the E2140 to get the higher fsb, so that even if it maxs out the same as the E2160 the one with the faster fsb will have a edge. as for mobo imo 945 with c2d is a poor investment. right now you can get a p35 biostart with some upgradabilty for $109. though that board has only 3phase power i would recommend the Abit IP35-e for 119 or the IP35 for $149. even gigabyte has a good p35 for $129, atm the gigabyte looks like the best deal for a ocer.

Abit IP35's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127031
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127029

Gigabyte
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

main reason why to get the gigabyte board is the 6-phase VRM and raid for $129.

*edit*
basicly with the E2xxx they have 1mb L2 vs E4xxx with 2mb vs E6x20,E6600+ with 4mb's, the E63/E64's have 2mb just like the E4x line.

honastly the cpu will top out around 3ghz-3.2ghz dependent on temps, voltage needed. wont really know till you get the setup.

All right. Change the mobo to gigabyte. Also a cheaper HD.
Can I at least get 2.5GHz with this setup? And what you think about the Case and PSU? are they decent?

Updated.

shan said:
All right. Change the mobo to gigabyte. Also a cheaper HD.
Can I at least get 2.5GHz with this setup? And what you think about the Case and PSU? are they decent?

Updated.
case is up to you, its a matter of taste really. as for the psu i would go with this one much better deal in imo.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-E5150GH

on stock volts you would get 2.6ghz with out a problem. really though 2.8ghz to 3ghz on stock voltage seems to be the norm. some do require a voltage touch for 3ghz but thats the lesser cpu's, luck of the draw really.

All right, thanks a lot.
Are there a good case and PSU combo less than $100?

shan said:
All right, thanks a lot.
Are there a good case and PSU combo less than $100?
included psu's are really cheap and not worth getting bot together. i know mwave has combo deals on psu/cases like cpu/mobo combos. might want to check them out.

Evilsizer said:
included psu's are really cheap and not worth getting bot together. i know mwave has combo deals on psu/cases like cpu/mobo combos. might want to check them out.

What do you think the one I am getting? it's an Antec Smartpower 2.0 450watts. is it decent?

Antec is one of the few case makers that includes good power supplies with their cases. You should do fine with that combo.

shan said:
What do you think the one I am getting? it's an Antec Smartpower 2.0 450watts. is it decent?
Soichiro said:
Antec is one of the few case makers that includes good power supplies with their cases. You should do fine with that combo.

antec lower end psu's have gone down hill. the only psu's from antec i would touch are the earh watts cause the psu inside is from seasonic.

any decent ones on Newegg? I want to get everything in one order. less than $60, since I have to get a case too.

thanks, soichiro. I'll just look around a little bit. if I couldn't find anything, I'll just get this antec combo.

Last edited:
shan said:
any decent ones on Newegg? I want to get everything in one order. less than $60, since I have to get a case too.
in that case i would tell you to trim the video card cause newegg doesnt have anyy good psu's for what you would need/want. cause the only one i could say to get is the earthwatt 430 for 69.99. really though the PSU is something you dont want to skimp on, will save you alot of headaches down the road. go for like a 7600GT video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062
$99 with $15 MIR, this would then allow you to get this much beter psu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104022
or better yet just get the on i linked to, really the shipping isnt a deal breaker. i understand wanting from one place but sometimes you need to shop around to get good deals. Ewiz has good customer service but not up with newegg, still though the top sitesi see recommend are newegg,zipzoomfly,ewiz,mwave.

Evilsizer said:
in that case i would tell you to trim the video card cause newegg doesnt have anyy good psu's for what you would need/want. cause the only one i could say to get is the earthwatt 430 for 69.99. really though the PSU is something you dont want to skimp on, will save you alot of headaches down the road. go for like a 7600GT video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062
$99 with $15 MIR, this would then allow you to get this much beter psu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104022
or better yet just get the on i linked to, really the shipping isnt a deal breaker. i understand wanting from one place but sometimes you need to shop around to get good deals. Ewiz has good customer service but not up with newegg, still though the top sitesi see recommend are newegg,zipzoomfly,ewiz,mwave.

I just change the case/psu combo to a coolmaster case and a Xclio stablepower 460watts. What you think?

Back