• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fiber install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
[56K (HAHA) warning] Fiber install

All,

I will be getting 15Mbit fiber to the house today, courtesy of Verizon. I anticipate that the installation will be completed around 1500 Pacific time, at which point I will report back with initial impressions.

The 15Mbit package comes as part of the Verizon triple threat package. You get phone service, broadband internet, and television service over the same optical pair.

I'm looking forward to getting off this 768Kbit DSL line... :cool:

Last edited:
Captain Newbie said:
All,

I will be getting 15Mbit fiber to the house today, courtesy of Verizon. I anticipate that the installation will be completed around 1500 Pacific time, at which point I will report back with initial impressions.

The 15Mbit package comes as part of the Verizon triple threat package. You get phone service, broadband internet, and television service over the same optical pair.

I'm looking forward to getting off this 768Kbit DSL line... :cool:

you are gonna LOVE IT! i have the fios 15mbit connection ... its so redicolous fast.

One word of advice, ask the installer if he can run an ethernet cable from the fios box to your router, thats the way i have it and ping times are much less than my friend (who lives across the street) in which they used the tv cable as a media to transfer the net to the computer room then used their special ****ty router / cable modem, to then connect to the computer.

this is what i am waiting on. Verizon has the cable ran just not set up yet. should be soon. I am at 15mbit now but threw cable. You will be amazed at the speed.

freakdiablo said:
Rub it in. I have 3mbps adsl and a horrible generic router (courtesy of bluewin). congrats though
lol

<rub in>

147968896.png

</rub in>

Muahahha i love it...12ms ping is the greatest... my friend with the fios then to coax cable in the house has pings of about 50ms to the same server.
Upload isnt showing the usual 1800 -2000kbps cus im runnin 2 cs servesr and a web server :attn:

nd4spdbh2 said:
lol

<rub in>

</rub in>

Muahahha i love it...12ms ping is the greatest... my friend with the fios then to coax cable in the house has pings of about 50ms to the same server.
Upload isnt showing the usual 1800 -2000kbps cus im runnin 2 cs servesr and a web server :attn:

whoa!! i thought fios had a better upload? i thought it was a synchronous connection w. 15meg download and upload... haha guess not.. still better than my 6 meg att dsl lol

maxxoverclocker said:
whoa!! i thought fios had a better upload? i thought it was a synchronous connection w. 15meg download and upload... haha guess not.. still better than my 6 meg att dsl lol

damn i wish it was 15 and 15mbit.... my god i would be running all 6 of the computers i own as game servers of sometype and *cough* renting them out *cough*... lol i could see it now... 2 bf2 servers, 4 - 6 CS servers and web server for stats on all of em MAUAUUAAHAHHA

fios packages are 5 / 2 , 15 / 2, and the outragesly over priced 30 / 5mbit connection.

Okay. Up on fiber now; speeds as expected. (56K = die. Screw thumbnails, I have 15mbit...)

Suffice to say I am no longer the weak link when visiting most websites. (A lot of "hosting providers" are running it off their DSL line...)

fios01.png

fios02.png

I get *very* good latency to CS, etc. servers on this coast; 25msec or less. The internet is being run over the coax from the optical network terminal to the router; I'm not worried about it as it's STILL better than the DSL I was on.

The included router has a very complex and complete administration interface:
< image >
fios04.png

The TV product is good; the installer was very professional. A note: You must have a Windows PC to activate the product.

So yeah. Life is good. The range on the included wireless router is fair; but I actually have the wireless on the router itself switched off and am running my wireless in other methods.

elec999 said:
Nice speed. How much is it per month for 15mbit.
Thanks
We're paying $135 all-up per month for phone, broadband, and cable TV. (This is marginally cheaper than what we were paying before; TWC are a bunch of crooks, however, and we get far more TV channels with this setup, along with digital cable (FINALLY).

I believe you can pay ridiculous amounts of money for 30/5, or pay a moderate sum for 15/2. 15Mbit is MORE than enough.

Captain Newbie said:
Okay. Up on fiber now; speeds as expected. (56K = die. Screw thumbnails, I have 15mbit...)

Suffice to say I am no longer the weak link when visiting most websites. (A lot of "hosting providers" are running it off their DSL line...)

fios01.png

fios02.png

I get *very* good latency to CS, etc. servers on this coast; 25msec or less. The internet is being run over the coax from the optical network terminal to the router; I'm not worried about it as it's STILL better than the DSL I was on.

The included router has a very complex and complete administration interface:
< image >
fios04.png

The TV product is good; the installer was very professional. A note: You must have a Windows PC to activate the product.

So yeah. Life is good. The range on the included wireless router is fair; but I actually have the wireless on the router itself switched off and am running my wireless in other methods.

nice... btw what was the default login for the router... i wasnt able to find it to turn off the wireless at my friends house.

nd4spdbh2 said:
nice... btw what was the default login for the router... i wasnt able to find it to turn off the wireless at my friends house.
IIRC, initially it's admin:password (i.e.: login name:password) and then is automatically changed to admin:password1 by the FIOS setup wizard.

(No, I am *not* using the default passwords on my routers... :D)

Is that the 35 dollar a month package or the 45$ amount package??

also.

hows there TV. our cable company is giving us a crapy line with amplifiers, because its such a long distance away from the poll. and i know a glass line will have WAY less resistance then a copper line...

in comparison to your old cable company hows the non-hd channels?

we still get 30Mb/s

148237869.png

=) (i do the speed test about a 100389402 billion times a day so i guess they give me slower results every time but when i download i get 3.3MB/s-3.5 + about 550KB/s up)

imposter said:

also.

hows there TV. our cable company is giving us a crapy line with amplifiers, because its such a long distance away from the poll. and i know a glass line will have WAY less resistance then a copper line...

we still get 30Mb/s

148237869.png

=) (i do the speed test about a 100389402 billion times a day so i guess they give me slower results every time but when i download i get 3.3MB/s-3.5 + about 550KB/s up)

my friend has fios tv.... the standard channels look so crisp compared to our timewarner cable its redicolous.

And WTF password1... jezus crist.

Alright well, they are gonna have to draw 1000 feet of fiber wiring to my house =).

less resistance than 1000 feet of copper eh?

imposter said:

also.

we still get 30Mb/s

148237869.png

TV is subjectively better; the picture is digital (instead of analog, thank God, finally, friggin TW sucks). We also get way more channels for the same amount of money.

Pfft.

My ISP says the do fiber, but i'm plane jane wired =/

I don't know if its fiber supported here.... but we get pretty slow prices per money =/

36$ for 2mb/200kb

Captain Newbie said:
That's the general idea :)
Well i mean, we are around -8 -9 DBA or whatever the measurement they use. then they amplifier a negative signal. So what do you get when you amplifier a negative signal? you get crap!.

now we asked for a amplifier at the main poll but installing that for one house is not worth it =P. so they didn't.

i wouldn't want to go to fios though, because we got a good deal on our internet and the same speed with fios is 160$ or something. + the difference in cable quality can really be that much better for me to care =P

Back