• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I use a cheap PSU!! :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

I was browsing this forum when i noticed that 'dare' thread, with the 10 bucks psu link :p... well i use a bad PSU and i'm having no problems ( i suppose it's a bad psu :p as it came with my cheap case.. ).

My system spec:

Videocard: MSI NX7600GT @ 630/1554
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 541 3.2 @ 3.4Ghz
Mainboard: Intel DG965WH
Memory: 3gig DDR2-677
Soundcard: Onboard

And my system is as stable as a horse.. not a single problem since the day i built it.. which was sometime around the beginning of 2007..

would i notice any better performance if i buy a decent PSU ? i suppose not.. it's just weird all the fuss about expensive psu's while this cheap sucker i got with my case runs everything fine so far.. ( i might consider a better psu when i upgrade my gfx)..

A picture of the sucker :D
01072007139qt5.jpg

and its not even UL approved, my god. Be happy being in the 1% of people that don't have issues, till the thing decides to die and take out half your system. I've seen it happen.

Well i'm going to hold on to it until it dies :attn: i doubt it'll ever die, if it was meant to die it should've long time ago..:-/

lenix said:
Well i'm going to hold on to it until it dies :attn: i doubt it'll ever die, if it was meant to die it should've long time ago..:-/
I seriously wouldn't trust that PSU to run one more week...for the sake of your hardware, get a better PSU....:beer:

fine if prove me wrong. Just trying to give you a hand. Negate 5+ years experience and all the combined experince on this forum

thideras said:
I seriously wouldn't trust that PSU to run one more week...for the sake of your hardware, get a better PSU....:beer:

I live in Middle East, Jordan to be exact, and to be honest, finding a decent PSU in my country will be a pain in the ***.. that if i ever find a decent one -,-... But if i ever find a decent one around, i'll grab it.. ( ordering from the internet is not an option.. unless maybe there is an easy/cheap international shipping solution which i doubt ).

Well he lives in Jordan so I doubt there are any decent hardware stores around that area. I thought you could order stuff online and have it sent to you in that area?

Anyways.. You do have a nice midranged set up there so that cheap PSU must of been made by the PC gods for it not blowing up in 6 months.

Just a question guys, Is there any performance gain from upgrading the PSU, could i may be overclock stuff better or any normal performance gain ?
Or it's just to be safe and feel warm inside ? :p

lenix said:
Just a question guys, Is there any performance gain from upgrading the PSU, could i may be overclock stuff better or any normal performance gain ?
Or it's just to be safe and feel warm inside ? :p
It might be able to push that P4 past the 3.4 mark, with only 10a @12v would say that might be a factor unless you just raised the fsb and left everything else alone.

My Mobo isn't overclock friendly, i can't overclock the cpu from bios ( ya i know, wasn't my best chocie when i built this rig ).. I'm using ClockGen to overclock my cpu, so ya i suppose, i'm only increasing the fsb, nothing else.

lenix said:
My Mobo isn't overclock friendly, i can't overclock the cpu from bios ( ya i know, wasn't my best chocie when i built this rig ).. I'm using ClockGen to overclock my cpu, so ya i suppose, i'm only increasing the fsb, nothing else.
I would upgrade anyway, just for the sake of being on the safe side. Not a big upgrade since it runs on that psu, just not a good idea to run a psu that close to its max wattage.

lenix said:
I was browsing this forum when i noticed that 'dare' thread, with the 10 bucks psu link :p... well i use a bad PSU and i'm having no problems ( i suppose it's a bad psu :p as it came with my cheap case.. ).

My system spec:

Videocard: MSI NX7600GT @ 630/1554
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 541 3.2 @ 3.4Ghz
Mainboard: Intel DG965WH
Memory: 3gig DDR2-677
Soundcard: Onboard

And my system is as stable as a horse.. not a single problem since the day i built it.. which was sometime around the beginning of 2007..

would i notice any better performance if i buy a decent PSU ? i suppose not.. it's just weird all the fuss about expensive psu's while this cheap sucker i got with my case runs everything fine so far.. ( i might consider a better psu when i upgrade my gfx)..

A picture of the sucker :D
01072007139qt5.jpg

Cheap power supply = Russian roulette = a matter of time

Good power supplies are not expensive, there are good quality power supplies for an average system for ~ $60. They are cheaper than replacing motherboards and CPUs.

FWIW back in the day I had a crappy Rosewill that kept my system 100% stable until one day it just decided to blow a capacitor.

Back