• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6420 or e6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sMaCk III

first im a new pc bulider so have patience please... i was gonna buy they HP Pavilion m8040n Minitower but in stead of paying a ton of money i decided that i wanna build my own both bc of saving money and i want the experience.. im thinkin of either getting the c2d e6420 or the c2d e6600 any suggestions on pros and cons on these?

sMaCk III said:
first im a new pc bulider so have patience please... i was gonna buy they HP Pavilion m8040n Minitower but in stead of paying a ton of money i decided that i wanna build my own both bc of saving money and i want the experience.. im thinkin of either getting the c2d e6420 or the c2d e6600 any suggestions on pros and cons on these?

Both will get the job done for you, but you mite want to wait a few weeks before deciding. July 22nd Intel is dropping prices and coming out with a bunch of new toys.

And:welcome:

yea im gonna be researching all aspect of the pc bc im actually starting school for pcs next month and wanna build and get some expierence in the field but thanx for the heads up...

pretty much gaming and everyday use...and price range about trying to stay close to a grand as a i can or under...

im gonna use my 32" hdtv as my monitor and im starting from scratch building it from the ground and have nothing so far thats y im trying to get some insight before i start buying and then being dissapointed. and i really appreciate the help.
right now i just have a laptop sone vaio p4 2.8ghz 80 gb hd and 512mb ram nothing special but i bought it a while ago and it has served its purpose but its time to move on to bigger and better things u know..

If you are overclocking and plan to buy a decent motherboard and memory sticks than you could save some money and go for the E6420. They are both pretty much the same except the E6420 comes with an 8x multiplier while the E6600 comes with a 9x multiplier.

for my graphix i was thinkin bout the geforce 8800gts.. i have been a fan of geforce for a while now and prolly wanna stick with them..

If you are planning on overclocking, I'd recommend against getting a MicroATX motherboard/case. Most mATX motherboards offer little if any overclocking control (my current board lets me change FSB and nothing else, not even voltage), and a mATX case may not have enough airflow for extra heat generated from overclocking.

The E6420 is a better bang for the buck than the E6600.

Get a good motherboard like the Abit AB9 QuadGT (see link). I played with one of these recently and was very impressed. Newegg has them for $130 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127019

For RAM, this G. Skill RAM is pretty good and is going for a reasonable price. A buddy just got it and it overclocks beyond DDR900 with 4-4-4-10 timings using low voltage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231087

Back