• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What 700Watt PSU should I go with? Duel SLI / water cooled system + 7 HD's 150.00 ..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wizzard005

What 700Watt PSU should I go with? Duel SLI / water cooled system + 7 HD's 150.00 ..

Aloha all,

Right now i am using my Antec Phantom 500WATT . Its been good, just dont know if I should upgrade just yet..

Anyways, if you all think thats underpowered, please let me know what is a good 700+ Watt PSU

I would like something that the cables are not part of the unit.

If you think you might get in trouble, ask before just posting it. Selling anywhere other than the Classifieds is strictly forbidden.

Its been modded to extend the power for the motherboard, but that should be a big deal.

It looks like Silver stone makes some good ones..

1. I want to spend around 150.00
2. Cables should be not part of the unit
3. Has to be very low db is a must

Last edited by a moderator:
Wizzard005 said:
Aloha all,

Right now i am using my Antec Phantom 500WATT . Its been good, just dont know if I should upgrade just yet..

Anyways, if you all think thats underpowered, please let me know what is a good 700+ Watt PSU

I would like something that the cables are not part of the unit.

Also, i hope i dont get into trouble saying this. Once i get my new one, I am going to sell my Phantom for like 50 bucks if anyone wants

Its been modded to extend the power for the motherboard, but that should be a big deal.

It looks like Silver stone makes some good ones..

1. I want to spend around 150.00
2. Cables should be not part of the unit
3. Has to be very low db is a must

With two 8800GTXs running, a very "low" db power supply probably is not going to be an issue.

Do you mean modular? = "Cables should be not part of the unit."

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373110

so what is the difference from single rail vs 2, 3 ,4 rails? I feel that the more rails the better, however i may be wrong about that.

I currently use a Silencer 750
It is Unfortunately a lil' over your Price Range. And is Not Modular..
I never will Personally get a Modular PSU... though..

The Silencer 610 is in Your Price Range..
Also the SILVERSTONE Decathlon Series DA650 mentioned above looks Good.

Wizzard005 said:
so what is the difference from single rail vs 2, 3 ,4 rails? I feel that the more rails the better, however i may be wrong about that.

I say No. A single 12V rail is BEST.
That way no Maxing of a Single Rail happens, and no waist, it can All be used if needed..

I see, so if there was a PSU that had 2 +12v rails at 70AMP each that would be better then 1 single rail at 70amp right?

So what is wrong with my 500? Has a 17 and a 18amp rail. Will this setup run the following with no problems?

1. 5 SATA HD's
2 CD Roms
3 OC CPU
4 Water Pump
5 a Few fans

I guess i can almost awnser my own question lol....

I am watching this item. I am guessing this powersupply kicks butt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=140134626807&rd=1&rd=1

The Ultra X3 is a Nice PSU and should do great for what you need.
A 500W could power your system. It would Simply depend on what 500W.
I would be a lil' worried with the Antec Phantom 500, when running on low fan setting.. could get rather hot..

OkydOky said:
The Ultra X3 is a Nice PSU and should do great for what you need.
A 500W could power your system. It would Simply depend on what 500W.
I would be a lil' worried with the Antec Phantom 500, when running on low fan setting.. could get rather hot..

I am watching out for something 750+ I really like the Koolance Water Cooled power Supply, but its like 500 bucks lol....

We will see :)

Wizzard005 said:
I really like the Koolance Water Cooled power Supply, but its like 500 bucks lol....
Read carefully. It's a mixed bag, but:
And I would never tell anyone that this power supply is NOT recommended, despite the fact that it only scored a 7 and didn't get a "Recommended" award. But the fact of the matter is, it's an 850W power supply being sold as a 1200W power supply at a cost of around $500.

Wizzard005 said:
So what is wrong with my 500? Has a 17 and a 18amp rail. Will this setup run the following with no problems?

1. 5 SATA HD's
2 CD Roms
3 OC CPU
4 Water Pump
5 a Few fans

I guess i can almost awnser my own question lol....

I am watching this item. I am guessing this powersupply kicks butt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=140134626807&rd=1&rd=1

The older Antec Smart Power, True Power and Phantoms don't have a good reputation, their capacitors have a habit of blowing. The Phantom without a fan doesn't help the situation either. It appears that one of the causes is heat that accompanies their low quality capacitors, these power supplies don't run particularly cool which aggravates the situation even more. Many of us here have "hands on" experience with this.

Regardless that you asked whether it would run what you have chosen, I don't think anyone would recommend that specific model power supply for normal work let alone a heavy duty application. There are much better and more capable power supplies available that are priced accordingly.

The newer Antec Earth Watts and NEO HE models are a big improvement and are recommended for many rigs.

Ebay may or may not be a good way to purchase, many times their prices meet or exceed what can be easily shopped for retail plus exhorbitant shipping costs many times condemn and otherwise fair price. You really should buy from an authorized Internet distributor in the event you need an invoice for a warranty issue. There are many recommended here and their prices in most cases are very good.

Back