• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEAD 6800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geofrancis

i built a computer for a friend with some old parts i had lying around 3200axp 6800 128mb 1gb ddr.

last week he noticed red marks appearing all over the screen so i went over and had a look at it. it reminded me of when i over clock my graphics card and at starts to artifact so i installed rivia tuner and coolbits to check it hadnt been overclocked when i went into coolbits the memory was at 1.4ghz instead of 700mhz so i put it back down too 700 but the nvidea drivers were saying the card was running at 1.4ghz stock.

after setting the speed on the memory and saving the settings i restarted and it was doing the same so i went back to rivia tuner and went to click the detect clock speed settings the full computer went off and wouldn't power back on.

i eventually tried taking the graphics card out still nothing. when i got home i tried it with a different power supply and graphics card and it booted.

i checked the power connector on the 6800 with a multimeter the 12v and ground were shorting out and destroyed the psu that was in it

is there any way to repair this card? i really dont want to have to get another one

and how does a graphics card bios decide to change its memory clocks by itself then short out? i was thinking the psu could have went then screwed the card then the card took the psu out

If two of the wires were shorting, thats where the problem is the PSU, it wasnt feeding the correct voltages and therefore shorted and knackered the card. Electricity is a funny thing, you dont know what kind of damage it,ll do. I remember a few years back i totally knackered the entire PC by installing a dodgy Hiper 580W PSU, which worked for at least 6 months before and it took out all the components except for the CPU. A pain in the a** with no PC :cry:. Its fixable if the PSU can be replaced with one thats hasnt got shorting wires, also reseting clocks as you suggested. If that doesnt work then im afraid its totally fried. But as you say it works with another PSU so that might work. good luck :D

the graphics card fan spins when the power cable is removed but it beeps and nothing shows on the screen

The mem speed was actually correct. It was a bug in some of the older drivers. The card reports the doubled or effective mem speed (350>700 effective), then the drivers displayed double the reported speed (700>1.4).

I had the same red artifacting issues with a 7800. It turned out to be the psu in my case as well. Unfortunatly, I think the card is dead for good.

Back