• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Condensation Prevention

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RockyC2D

Condensation Prevention??

With my first WC system this summer last question is the conern about condensation. What should I look for and does it all depend on your radiator cooling the system under ambient temps.

Last edited:
Condensation is only an issue with phase change cooling, earth cooling, etc. Unless you are cooling the water below ambient, you don't need to worry about condensation. And you can't cool the water below ambient using only a radiator attached to the computer.

No water cooling system without help, is capable of cooling the water to sub ambient temps. It's possible with a bong, however very difficult and typically you still wouldnt get cold enough to matter. You really only have to worry about condensation with peltiers and phase cooling.

LOL.

A little redundancy doesn't hurt -- especially when you consider how much sense I make after midnight. ;)

RockyC2D said:
With my first WC system this summer last question is the conern about condensation. What should I look for and does it all depend on your radiator cooling the system under ambient temps.
Your question is kinda scary. It shows a complete misunderstanding of how watercooling works and the underlying thermodynamic concepts. I make me wonder what else you don't understand.

I would suggest a little more reading, and, for sure, follow the directions for any parts you install.

Watercooling myths exposed: 'http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/

They only way I could think of a normal enclose WC system generating condensation on the lines and/or block is if the air input for the radiator is over a air conditioning vent. It would have to be one !@#$ of a air conditioning system.

billb said:
Your question is kinda scary. It shows a complete misunderstanding of how watercooling works and the underlying thermodynamic concepts.
...or ignorance of the exact conditions under which water will condense out of the air.

Many people don't understand the physics of their machines. This applies not only to watercooling computers but to just about everything. While it definitely helps to understand how heat is transfered, I think someone who doesn't have a head for physics can still watercool his comp. Asking questions of those who do understand how it works is essential, though. As the saying goes, the only stupid question is the one you needed an answer to but didn't ask.

mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybeeeeeeee he was referring to a bong'd WC setup... that could potentially hit below ambient temps =)

^^Yes they get below ambient temp, but not far enough below ambient to cause condensation to occur....bong's can't do that.
Bong's can only get to just above the dewpoint without a heatload, and the pump would count against that too. Most will only get within a degree or two above depoint (which is the point of condensation).

You're fine and safe against condensation with either a bong cooler or a radiator under normal circumstances and conditions.

Back