• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm, where to insulate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

This has to do with a window a/c, not a phase unit, but there are so many hvac guys around I thought I'd ask. My 5000btu window a/c keeps freezing up somewhere, and then melting producing an *** load of water, which is pooling at the bottom of the unit. I'd like to get rid of this issue because it's spraying water out of the vents, and makes an annoying sound as well.

Have you tried tiling it back more? If its not tilted back far enough, or at all, water can begin to collect inside the unit before it over-fills, which causes it to freeze up, and an get into the fan, and blown out the vents.

So try tiling it back a bit more. If that doesn't work, make sure there is a way for the water to get out. check the unit, and see where the water builds up mostly, and then on the lowest point of that area...try poking some holes into the AC casing, to allow the water to drip out.

Also, You could not just tilt it back, but tilt it at an angle, so all the water falls to one side, and has an easier time to drip out.

just a few suggestions.

Was doing some checking...

Make sure the drain on the back isn't clogged at all. If there isn't one, then it wasn't ment to have one ( But we are overclockers...so i wouldn't hold it agents ya if you make one :D ).

But another common reason AC's freeze up is due to a lack of refrigerant. the refrigerant just sits, or stays in the bottom of the evaporator, causing the bottom to get REALLY cold, which causes any condensation to freeze up on it.

If you just bought it from a store, find the receipt and return it for a new one. If its older, make sure the evaporator's filter is clean, and that the fan on the back of the unit is blowing out air ( which should be hot air ). so other than making sure it has good air-flow, i'm not sure what else to add, other than what i have already mentioned.

This is gunna sound dumb but I always wondered why every window unit I see is tilted back... I though that the four by four holding it up just sank into the ground.

Well, thats not going to work because I don't have mine actually mounted in the window with it's exhaust hanging out. If I tilt it back, it'll just pour water onto the carpet. :) Can't mount it in the window either, don't have the time or materials.

to put it in the window

just open it
and put the unit in there
your window fram will be able to support it unless it is really heavy and then just use some caulk to seal around it or some type of foam pad

This is a little unit, and I have very wide windows. I'll have to get some plywood or something to fill in the gaps, trashy looking or not.

Ahhhh, its a portable AC!

Doesn't it have a drain somewhere on it? because it should. I have one in my room, and on the back is a drain, with a 3 foot long hose.

it SHOULD have some way for it to drain the water it builds up. For me, i have it draining into a 5 gallon water jug that i bought at walmart for like 10 bucks.

Have any pics of it? Or how about a link to a website selling that model?

Back