• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for HDTV.....for gaming :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

ok so I wanted the video phile people who seem to post a lot in games to see this.

So my brother needs a recommendation on a 32" LCD TV. He had a 27" tube and it just went out...problem is he was just about to pimp his basement later this summer as the main home theater but still wants something upstairs however it;s not his main focus. I guess he's decided it's probably best to go HD at this point and will go up to a grand but under would be better. Can you guys recommend any TV's? Also I'm curious what happens if you buy a TV thats 720p native and throw it 1080i/p signals?...does it down convert to 720p then?

Most TVs will downconvert to 720p but seeing as how the 360 and the PS3 both natively run 720p there is no need to. My suggestion is to spend a little more now to future proof yourself later. Sure you can get a 720p 32" for $500 but you may find yourself spending that again in a few years for a 1080p. Go ahead and get the 1080p now. If you're looking to go on the cheap, go for a WestingHouse or Olevia or another off-brand. If you're looking to go high-quality you can't beat an Aquos or Bravia.

My Sceptre has been very kind to me. 1080i 32" was $500. So I can imagine you can find a 1080p Sceptre for $1000.

It has every input I want except DVI. But I suppose I could always get a DVI to HDMI cable.

rainless said:
My Sceptre has been very kind to me. 1080i 32" was $500. So I can imagine you can find a 1080p Sceptre for $1000.

It has every input I want except DVI. But I suppose I could always get a DVI to HDMI cable.

Yep... I have a 42" Sceptre 1080p that I use for gaming on both my consoles and my computer. I got it last year for about $1100.

my personal favorites:

1. buy a used old big deskbreaking 22" sony trinitron monitor off somebody on craigslist or the like (best of the small)

2. get a projector; 720p is sweetspot now. 1080p would be better to use as a monitor, but i can't imagine using a pj as a monitor anyway, and newer games it'll be harder to run things in 1080p anyway (unless you have da uber-puter) ( best of the large) i had an infocus 4805 480p pj and it was just fantastic; i guarantee to anyone that after you try a pj, you'll never go back, having 100" or more is fantastic, forget going to the movies; play all your Single player and non-competitive stuff on the pj, play your competitive FPS on the monitor

i just got the vizio 32" refurb from buy.com for $399 after 7% off coupon that was posted in the cyber deals.

i LOVE it! Even better than the $500 olivea i picked up a month ago at circuit city

yeah it's gotta be 32" to fit in where he wants to put it...and I think 720p is his sweet spot price wise, it just doesn't make sense to spend $1200 to get 1080p on a TV that size when he's gonna probably get like a 50" in a few months...he's really hung up on getting an Aquos which I can't really argue with Sharp make excellent displays.

blueswitch said:
yeah it's gotta be 32" to fit in where he wants to put it...and I think 720p is his sweet spot price wise, it just doesn't make sense to spend $1200 to get 1080p on a TV that size when he's gonna probably get like a 50" in a few months...he's really hung up on getting an Aquos which I can't really argue with Sharp make excellent displays.

For a 50" 1080p, that is going to set him back over $3k. If he's just getting it for games and stuff, 720p will be adequate for the most part, you'll just miss out on the handfull of games that are 1080p or 1080i natively.

Uhh, if he wants to use his PC for gaming on the 50", he'll want 1080P.

1280x768 is far to low for PC gaming resolution.

Back