• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I have no clue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich_dick_33

Registered
[06:43:48] + Processing work unit
[06:43:48] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[06:43:48] Core found.
[06:43:48] Working on Unit 01 [July 7 06:43:48]
[06:43:48] + Working ...
[06:43:52] CoreStatus = 63 (99)
[06:43:52] + Error starting Folding@Home core.

what is this and how do i stop it on the SMP client and why is the graphical client only using one core on my 4400+?

anyhelp plz? :confused:

Stop SMP Client = Ctrl+C

The graphical v5.03 client is single instance, it is designed to use only one core. Generally we here advise against the Graphical client. It has OpenGL issues and can steal cycles when viewing the graphical window. Best thing is to just uninstall the Graphical client and setup SMP, that's where the best ppd (points per day) is anyway.

Did you run install.bat in the SMP client directory after installing? It needs to be installed under a user with a password as you'll have to enter that same user/pass when running install.bat.

Also this thread may help with the WinSMP client.

Also, if you are running Vista there a few more steps you need to follow to get it to work properly.

What OS are you using?

Are you running both the gui client 5.03 and SMP client at the same time?
If so stop the smp client and let the gui client complete its work unit but don't let it get another wu by using the -oneunit flag (or whatever the equivalent setting is for the gui client). On a dual core cpu you should not run any other client with the smp client.

The gui client only uses a single core so it will only show 50% utilization.

If you tried running the smp client on the same machine, unless you changed the machine id under advanced settings for the smp client machineid to something other than the default '1' then the clients are conflicting with each other.

So let the gui client finish its work unit (wu) then stop and uninstall it. We never want to delete a WU since it hurts the science.

After it has finished, you have some choices but i suggest you run 2 standard 5.04 clients so you get familiar with them. Since you are trying to get your college to fold, this is the client you should be recommending, and so you should get familiar with it.

Once you have crunched a few standard client wu's and got yourself familiar with it, then you could switch over to the smp client for better point production.

To run 2 standard single core clients on your dual core rig, download the 5.04 text client to a directory eg FAH1. Copy fah1 to a second directory called fah2.

Setup a shortcut to each fahconsole.exe edit the properties on the shortcut (right click on the shortcut to set properties). At the end of the target field add " -forecasm -verbosity 9" ... note the blank before -forecasm.
forceasm will ensure optimizations are used when you restart after a power failure etc. verbosity 9 puts more info onto the console and into the fahlog.txt file so you (and we) can diagnose problems better.

When you run each exe by lanching the shortcuts you will be prompted for configuration parameters.
For maximum points answer yes to receive large wu's and yes to advmethods.

On the second instance, you also need to answer yes to advanced settings and then answer '2' to the machineid prompt. This lets the stanford servers distinguish between the 2 instances on your machine.

I suggest answering no (the default) to 'running it as a service' for now so you get familiar with seeing what is shown on the console. For your borgs at the college, you will run them as a service to keep them hidden from users. This is also the only 'supported' way to run the BETA smp client later. You can change one of the clients to run as a service later, or start with one that way if you want.

Unless you need to, leave the settings for using IE settings and use proxies to the default no.

The correct way to stop a client running on the desktop (not as a service) is to click on its window and type in ctrl-c.

To stop a cleint running as a servcice you need to use the windows services manager interface.

Don't stop the client by closing the window or killing it with windows task manager ... you have a good chance of corrupting the wu if you do.

Hopefully i haven't confused you but post away if you have any questions.

:)

Last edited:
Ok I finished my first WU last night took 4 days?

ok "completed "...." out of "........" steps is like the progress or % then?

Rich_dick_33 said:
Ok I finished my first WU last night took 4 days?

ok "completed "...." out of "........" steps is like the progress or % then?

Depending on which wu you were running 4 days can be normal for the single core client.

Each project has different computations, number of atoms etc involved in the folding so they take different times to calc and are worth different points.
Running with advmethods and bigpackets also enables you (but doesn't guarantee) to get projects that will have bonus points associated with them usually because of large multi-MB upload/download sizes and/or large memory requirements to run them.

Almost without exception, every wu will report its progress in 1% increments or frames as we commonly refer to them. Depending on the project 1% could have as few as 1,000-2,000 steps, or could be as large as 100,000-200,000 steps. The number of steps is determined mainly by the number of atoms and the simulation algorithm used i think.

Wu performance can vary a lot by platform. some simulations will benefit a lot by floating point performance, cache size or memory bandwidth.

For smp folding, intels' core2 and quads perform best because of their big floating point performance advantage. The latest smp wu's also take advantage of large cpu cache sizes. So C2Q's with 8MB cache will dominate and C2D's with 4 MB cache aren't far behind. OC'ing cpu and memory can compensate somewhat, but the c2d and c2q's are also good oc'ers too.
Hopefuly amd will catchup with new tech cpu's to keep up the vendor competition.

When AMD's new 4cores come in to the stream im going to buy one or maybe 2 as they have said that the dual socket mobo's they have out now will take 2 4cores making 8 cores ...... I do hope It works , anyways thanks for your help It all seems to be running fine.

I had a meeting with the head's of the college and they wont start testing till the next year starts.
They gave me a count on the number of computers that they have in the college and I was way off when I counted, because I only counted in one part of the college when there is 6 parts to the college.

That should make for a very nice borg :drool:

Great for the folding cause :clap:

... not to mention very nice pointage for you and T32 :)

Just let us know if you need ANY help with the college borg sell, setup etc.

I want them to put it under my name and under team 32 but one or two of them want to start up there own team, Shame on them!

Rich_dick_33 said:
I want them to put it under my name and under team 32 but one or two of them want to start up there own team, Shame on them!

I am not suggesting giving in, but if you used a politically acceptable id then it might be easier to overcome their objections, although i can't know if those objecting will matter.

A name change when just starting is easier to swallow than later when you have 100's of thousands or millions of points.

abxzone has eastms.edu as their biggest producer, and it is also #4 ppd and #2 total points overall.

Im not going to change to the college Team I'll think i'll stay with OC team but It would be nice to have 1300 P4's PD's and apple macs under my fingers but only 2 out of 12 of the directors of the college care about the team thing anyway.

Im sure you guys wouldnt mind having the computers help to fold for the team.

Rich_dick_33 said:
Im not going to change to the college Team I'll think i'll stay with OC team but It would be nice to have 1300 P4's PD's and apple macs under my fingers but only 2 out of 12 of the directors of the college care about the team thing anyway.

Im sure you guys wouldnt mind having the computers help to fold for the team.

We are all for it :)

in my ramblings, i never even thought to suggest otherwize :)
nor was i suggesting you change teams :eek:

Back