• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor Issues??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I bought a pair of Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drives a while back and i'm having some weird issues. I'm running these in a Raid0. I just did a reformat and fresh XP Home install this morning and i'm still noticing some flakey behavior. The drives seem slow to me so I fired up the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and the model number is all garbled and i'm getting a cable error. I've got about 12 pairs of Sata cables laying around so I swapped a few different cables with the same results. Any thoughts? Also, can anyone recommend a bench marking program for hard drives so I can compare performance? I think I have HD Tach on my laptop, is that a decent program?

Here is a screenshot of the diagnostic screen.

Attachments

• wd diag.JPG
    wd diag.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 163
Try different cables.

Don't worry about the serial number thing, mine does that too.

Also, can you post a screenshot of HDTach or HDTune please? This will help us determine what may be wrong with the drives.

thideras said:
Try different cables.

Don't worry about the serial number thing, mine does that too.

Also, can you post a screenshot of HDTach or HDTune please? This will help us determine what may be wrong with the drives.
I've tried a bunch of different cables, same results. I can't run any diagnostics on the drives because it fails the cable test right away. Here is a SS of HD Tach running the quick test......

Attachments

• HD Tach ss.JPG
    HD Tach ss.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 144
I see nothing wrong with that test....

I think it is all in your head dude :beer:

Hrmm, ok then whats wrong with my 74gb raptor?

This is not from a fresh install, but its not my "C" drive & there are a lot of other apps running.

Edit, this is from a single config (just read the raid on top).

Attachments

• raptor76.jpg
    raptor76.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 137
I don't see anything wrong with either of those tests you ran...

richklein said:
Oh, it looks a little slow (certainly when compared to Raid 0)
Nope, that is about right....here is my RAID0

isthisright.jpg

Is there any other software out there that will test my hard drive? I've tried the WD crap and it's useless! I'm having some issues here and i'm trying to pin point the problem. I've tested my memory for 7 hours and it passed an bunch of tests so I know it's not that. I have it narrowed down to my motherboard or my hard drives. Right after a fresh install at stock speeds I got a couple of BSOD's when opening a webpage. My Bios still acts funny, it acts like when you do a fresh install of windows and you haven't installed a video driver yet, very choppy and non responsive. I tried reflashing the bios and I reflashed to the beta bios 2103 with the same results.

I've been having these weird issues for a while now but have blamed them on a corrupt OS. When I was installing windows it froze on me at the 34 minute mark 3 times, I pulled a stick of ram out and it installed fine, so after the install I tested the memory and it checked out fine. I'm stumped here, I might buy the P5K-Deluxe or a new copy of windows xp pro. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated before I do. Thanks. :beer:

dylskee said:
Is there any other software out there that will test my hard drive? I've tried the WD crap and it's useless! I'm having some issues here and i'm trying to pin point the problem. I've tested my memory for 7 hours and it passed an bunch of tests so I know it's not that. I have it narrowed down to my motherboard or my hard drives. Right after a fresh install at stock speeds I got a couple of BSOD's when opening a webpage. My Bios still acts funny, it acts like when you do a fresh install of windows and you haven't installed a video driver yet, very choppy and non responsive. I tried reflashing the bios and I reflashed to the beta bios 2103 with the same results.

I've been having these weird issues for a while now but have blamed them on a corrupt OS. When I was installing windows it froze on me at the 34 minute mark 3 times, I pulled a stick of ram out and it installed fine, so after the install I tested the memory and it checked out fine. I'm stumped here, I might buy the P5K-Deluxe or a new copy of windows xp pro. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated before I do. Thanks. :beer:
How are you installing Windows? Do you have the original disc that you bought or are you using a burned version? If you are using a "slipstreamed" version, you may be using faulty/old drivers. And if it is copied disc, well...hehe, you know your not supposed to...:beer:

thideras said:
How are you installing Windows? Do you have the original disc that you bought or are you using a burned version? If you are using a "slipstreamed" version, you may be using faulty/old drivers. And if it is copied disc, well...hehe, you know your not supposed to...:beer:
I'm using the original OEM disc with SP1 and then install SP2. I'm thinking of trying an install with xp pro, I'll check scambay.

dylskee said:
I've been having these weird issues for a while now but have blamed them on a corrupt OS. When I was installing windows it froze on me at the 34 minute mark 3 times, I pulled a stick of ram out and it installed fine, so after the install I tested the memory and it checked out fine.
Sounds like a memory problem to me...........

tuskenraider said:
Sounds like a memory problem to me...........
That's what I thought too but I ran memtest @824mhz for almost 7 hours without any errors, it passed all tests.

dylskee said:
That's what I thought too but I ran memtest @824mhz for almost 7 hours without any errors, it passed all tests.
Still, not a guarantee it's system stable. If pulling a stick solved your problem, then that's what should have your attention.

Back